8-17-43 camp out in Eltmann

Thanks Received
My father was there and was telling me about it. Any one else familiar with that day.

It was a huge H J camp,they had hundreds of tents set up. He was in a swimming pool doing life saving training when they saw the B-17's. They had just bombed Schweinfurt and were heading back to England. Some had holes in them,some were missing parts of the wings and tails,some were trailing smoke and he didn't think they would make it.They flew over them,one of the leaders thought they might still have bombs left but they were empty and trying to get home.

Ah okay. I'll try to find something out about this camp.

I can't find anything on a HJ-Zeltlager in the town of Eltmann. The big camps were usually away from towns though. Is he sure he was in the town?

Your right,he said the camp was in a big open area. Eltmann was the closest town. They had hundreds of eight man tents set up and the camp had a swimming pool.There was a river near by they would go to to wash up. It was about twenty miles from Schweinfurt and they could hear the bombs. He said it was a free time camp (they didn't have to do any work). You went for two weeks ,the camp stayed set up. when you left other people would come.

This sounds like it was a Bann or Gebiet-level Zeltlager because as your dad says, the boys spent two weeks there at the large camps before being rotated out and replaced by the next group. I'll go through my stuff. Perhaps this particular Zeltlager is noted somewhere.

Back