HJ portrait photos with Edelweiss insignia

Thanks Received
Bann 507 - Südost/Wien
Bann 560 - Südost/Steiermark

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Very nice photos. The Scharfuhrer from Wien also has a drivers insignia. I can't make out the badge on the pocket, might be a ski tinnie of some type.

very nice portraits, like to see them with the locations showing

No, this insignia wasn't a qualification badge although it is related to the alpine areas of the Reich. It was an accoutrement authorised for wear by members of the district Hochland and all districts in Austria. They were also the only districts authorised to wear white knee-length socks as opposed to the standard grey worn elsewhere.

No, this insignia wasn't a qualification badge although it is related to the alpine areas of the Reich. It was an accoutrement authorised for wear by members of the district Hochland and all districts in Austria. They were also the only districts authorised to wear white knee-length socks as opposed to the standard grey worn elsewhere.

Thanks for that Garry, do you have a picture or photo of the said HJ Edelweiss badge? I have a few cloth GebirgsJ insignia and cap badges and I would like to compare. I love the Edelweiss symbol I even have one on my keyring!!

cheers

Nick

Sorry, I meant a close up picture.

The pictures at the top of the thread are fantastic.

Nick

Ah, okay. I don't have one on file unfortunately but I'm sure one of the members can help with a close-up pic.

I've read that the insignia was ordered to be worn on the collar as the photos show. In the Amtliches Nachrichtenblatt for the HJ-organization a special issue was pulblished (Sonderdruck 7/38) dating September 30, 1938 about the service-dress for HJ and DJ. It states that for the Hochland Gebiet that all forms of cap would wear the Edelweiss. It is to be positioned in the middle of the left side of the cap, close to the lowest edge. Leaders were not authorized to wear the Edelweiss.

Orders about the Edelweiss for the Austrian HJ would be announced later.
The regulations from the above mentioned periodical dated June 16, 1939, more then six months later, on page 219, the text practically literally translated states:

The Edelweiss-insignia for the Obergebiet Südost has to be worn immediately from now on with the shirt, the blouse and winterblouse, as also with all forms of clothings for the leaders and the highest leaders (Führerkorps) with the exception of the leaders greatcoat with black cuffs.
It has to be worn at the right lapel of the tunic or respectively the collar for the shirt in such way that the stem for the insignia has to point into the outer tip of the collar.

Credit to W. Saris for the above information.

Here are the two edelweiss types

../henrik

Attachments

Thanks for posting the pictures!

The Edelweiss with the swasi that looks very collectable :001_cool: Is that yours Henrik?

I have not come across that one before.

Nick

I've read that the insignia was ordered to be worn on the collar as the photos show. In the Amtliches Nachrichtenblatt for the HJ-organization a special issue was pulblished (Sonderdruck 7/38) dating September 30, 1938 about the service-dress for HJ and DJ. It states that for the Hochland Gebiet that all forms of cap would wear the Edelweiss. It is to be positioned in the middle of the left side of the cap, close to the lowest edge. Leaders were not authorized to wear the Edelweiss.

The regulations from the above mentioned periodical dated June 16, 1939, more then six months later, on page 219, the text practically literally translated states:

The Edelweiss-insignia for the Obergebiet Südost has to be worn immediately from now on with the shirt, the blouse and winterblouse, as also with all forms of clothings for the leaders and the highest leaders (Führerkorps) with the exception of the leaders greatcoat with black cuffs.
It has to be worn at the right lapel of the tunic or respectively the collar for the shirt in such way that the stem for the insignia has to point into the outer tip of the collar.

Great info :001_smile: Many thanks

Nick

Thanks for posting the pictures!

The Edelweiss with the swasi that looks very collectable :001_cool: Is that yours Henrik?

I have not come across that one before.

Nick

Yes they are both mine, and part of my NSFK collection

../henrik

Attachments

Very nice indeed :001_cool:

Can you give me a bit more info on the Edelweiss with Swasi as I cant read the German text on your photo.

I just love that badge !!!

Thanks

Nick

Very nice indeed :001_cool:

Can you give me a bit more info on the Edelweiss with Swasi as I cant read the German text on your photo.

I just love that badge !!!

Thanks

Nick

Members of the NSFK gruppe 14 were allowed to wear the edelweiss with the swastica. The same type was used by members of SA-Gruppe Hochland.

Members of the NSFK gruppe 17 were allowed to wear the edelweiss withouth the swastica. The same type was used by members of SA-Gruppe Ostmark.

Both types had to be was placed on the left side of the headgear.

../henrik

HJ leader from the Reichsjugendführung with edelweiss

../henrik

Attachments

Ah, warms my heart to see detailed info like that :thumbup1: Yes, all references are correct. Wouldn't expect anything less from Wim of course.

http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f55/hj-edelweiss-insignia-1452/#post11901

Back