my grandfather

Thanks Received
Hi

my grandfather was in the HJ during the war. i don't know muc more about his time other than he was on cleaning duties during his younger years.

i'm not sure where he served but he was born in cologne.

i am looking for a little more information on him. he is still alive, but its a bit akward asking him about it as most of his and my grandmother's families died during the war

his name is hans dohmen. and he has said he never fought, so i am assuming that he under 16 when the war ended.

i am proud of my grandfather, because he tried to help his family by stealing from the trains where the nazis where riding. this was near the end of the war. he started using a motorcycle to jump onto the train and throw the food out onto the ground so his family could eat.

could anyone provide more information?

thanks

respectfully, I think you need to sit down with your grandfather tell him you are very proud of his service and you would like to know the real story for your research

PAUL

I echo what Paul has said. Even if one of us were able to turn up anything on him (which is extremely unlikely due to the nature of the records still around) it would be nothing compared to what he can tell you himself because he is a living part of the history that we of later generations can only discuss. I wish you good luck.

I echo what Paul has said. Even if one of us were able to turn up anything on him (which is extremely unlikely due to the nature of the records still around) it would be nothing compared to what he can tell you himself because he is a living part of the history that we of later generations can only discuss. I wish you good luck.

i would for sure, but it is a bit hard to talk to him about the war. as he is always with my grandmother, which her family was killed during the war, and well a metion of world war two puts her in a crying fit.

so being able to talk to him is hard. but if anyone does turn up anything, or knows anything. let me know

thanks

Back