Painted HJ honour badge M1/120 in zinc

Thanks Received
hi all

just found these on the warbooty site, now these are new to me and i would love to hear other opinions, strangely from never seeing one in the yrs i have collected warbooty currently have 3 on their site,
they are your usual m1/120 HJ deumer honour badges but painted zinc?????
could it be deumer made these at the tail end of the war if so where have they been until now ?? would a badge like an honour badge be made so cheeply ????

thought please

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Stuart, i posted these, and myself and Wim attempted a brief discussion about them on this thread.
I didnt want to go off on one on the above thread, but my personal opinion is that they are not Period. I don't see these being made in Zinc and painted. (despite what you may read on the HJ Golden badge with oak leaves thread from someone who believes that even Higher class awards were made in Zinc, silver etc..) Good that you have started a new Thread about them, let the pros and cons begin :thumb:

This seems very odd to me and totally illogical. Were any of the party honour awards listed to the left made in zinc towards the end of the war?

If not then why just the HJ honour badge? Look at the company it kept during the period. Why would anyone allow it to be made in zinc??

Attachments

Common sense and logic takes a back seat with many Catalog-collectors i am afraid, so after reading, for example, Christopher Ailsbys 2010 book, where he dictates to the community that even higher awards were made in various metals (The Golden HJ Oak leaf badge in 585 Gold, 835 silver and zinc) and after his recent postings on this forum, where he claims that even the Highest NSDAP award, awarded a total of 10 times, was also made in various metals, it could become easy for collectors to believe these lesser awards, such as Replacement HJ Ehrezeichen were made in Zinc. :sad:

This is precisely what i meant, when i said that books like his, are Detrimental to the hobby, collectors draw parallels from printed Opinion, and use it to authenticate, or at least back up an item like this...

i personally dont like these zinc badges and wanted to see what others thought ,you will allways get people who will justify them with the painted party badges and even the painted hj members badges , but surely not on the honor badges, and why would anyone buy them now over a decent 100% good normal honor badge, has anyone seen these outside of the warbooty site ??

Last edited:
... has anyone seen these outside of the warbooty site ??
Yes, in Southern Germany around 2008 that was the first time for me, at a small, militaria Show just outside of Pforzheim. Other than that, not on the net until around June or so when the above were listed.

Just came across this thread again. Clearly I agree with you guys on this but....

If we assume that replacement HJ honour badges were made this way late-war then why would this be the only party honour award that was produced in zinc? I'm certainly not aware of another anyway.

.........why should the HJ honour badge be the only NSDAP honour badge produced in zinc?
ME :) if i was there!
Dont forget Christopher Ailsby`s twisted ideas that the Solid 14 Ct. Gold, HJ Ehrenzeichen with oak leaf border, was also produced in zinc.... (That was naturally AFTER gold became a war essential material)

I dont think that collectors are really buying into this zinc crap-ola anyway, the zinc HJ golds are still sitting on German War Booty after nearly 2 years now, and the zinc HJ 1st pattern membership badges are also sitting on sites, and not moving...

Good. I hope that things stay that way and that they all gather a nice layer of dust. An article on these in our wiki is pending at the moment. I have a couple in progress so once they are up I'll get stuck into the Ehrenzeichen.

Just noticed your avatar. I was watching a programme about Sea Shepherd the other night actually. Pretty cool - the militant splinter group who thought that Greenpeace was too soft :)

Yes, their motto for 2013 is, Zero tolerance. What Japan is doing in the Antarctic is illegal anyway, so a big thumbs up. I would like to see Gatling guns mounted on deck though. Greenpeace are tree hugger`s.

Just came across this thread again. Clearly I agree with you guys on this. It amazes me that anyone would even come up with the idea for a crappy, shoddy zinc version of this badge and I'm thinking of the thought process that went on as they considered making these:

"shall we make a zinc version of the HJ Ehrenzeichen?"
"Yeah, zinc is late-war and they were still wearing it then"
"Cool"

Not cool - should have asked these questions:
Who exactly would have been buying zinc replacements of the HJ honour badge late-war?
Who would have been processing applications years after they were officially stopped?
Why would this be the only party honour award that was produced in zinc?

This badge was introduced in 1934 and applications were permitted within the Reich until 1939. When the RJF stopped further applications, the reason given was that people had had sufficient time in which to apply so, just for a laugh, let's accept for a second that these shoddy zinc HJ honour badges might be real and that the regulations were wrong. Who would have been applying for an HJ honour badge in the late-war period?

By 1939, even the youngest DJ member in October 1932 (the qualification date for the honour badge) would have been 17 by the time applications for the badge were stopped. Zinc badges, however, are late-war which means that this same boy would have been even older - let's say 20+, but here he is in 1942/44 applying for his badge and everyone from Bann to Gebiet to RJF is processing that application despite the ban from 1939? No way but even if we accept that all of this happened, why should the HJ honour badge be the only NSDAP honour badge produced in zinc?

Zinc HJ honour badges are an absolute non-starter.

I can not agree more with this. This badge was a national honour badge and would never be made in zinc, only after 1945

Just found a 3 year old link where one of these zinc honor badges was shown here, but not from the same source LINK.

HJ Horror badge, them zincrs! even if there is originals!
Agreed. Would be nice if Wim could remember where he got the pictures from. Btw, i never did get a reply back from John @ German War Booty regarding the large images of his 3 zinc honor badges that he was willing to show here. Maybe someone else would care to mail him and ask.

Attachments

here is further images of the above zinc honour badges for review

anymore opinions?

Attachments

The evidence/information in this thread doesn't leave me in any doubt, painted HJ honor badges MUST be viewed with great suspicion

What a mess. There is red enamel paint on top on the gold, there is gold paint on top of the red, the gold is normal paint that was applied at the same time, and is flaking off, not has been worn off.. is flaking off. When i have more time i`ll try and find it`s messing counterpart.

Great that you got better pics though. The original sales description saying:
The gold finish on this example rates at about 100 percent.
needs to be altered though to .. the gold paint, that was hand applied (not a gold gilt finish as you would expect, paint!) has flaked off a great deal of the surface. -very strange for only storage wear? -:
...being in excellent condition showing storage wear only.

Attachments

Back