Let's talk about the 'Deutsches Jungvolk knife' and the 'BDM knife'

Thanks for the link. I guffawed loudly when I saw that. Firstly, he doesn't know what an "original sack" looks like. No one does. Secondly, he is asking the reader to make a leap of faith and accept that the knife has been in or next to that specific bag since before May 1945. Thirdly:

I have placed a "DJ/BdM" knife next to the packet of a popular biscuit.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

"Jaffa" knife?

What he is showing there is a dodgy "DJ/BdM" knife next to a paper bag with "Regulation knife for the Hitler Youth and the Deutsches Jungvolk" on it. This is just a standard knife bag. It proves nothing about these little"DJ/BdM" knives. It certainly doesn't prove what he is saying in the blurb on his site.

If he is as interested in collectors and in history as he says then he could begin by acknowledging the error he made in telling people that the HJ knife was in production pre-1933. That claim is still on his site nearly a year after it was discussed here and on WAF and the knife is currently on hold. Oh, and as he currently has so many up for sale, find some proof that Olympic and RPT knives are from the period...

Oh, fourthly, if he had a photo of a Jungvolk boy wearing one of these knives, it would have been in one of the dagger books years ago or at least have been shown/discussed on a forum by now. I submit that the photo is a phantom like the Johnson letter.

Edit: post amended to include a translation of the wording on the bag.

Attachments

I`ll run with Jaffa Knife, and i believe, back when Star Trek first aired, that Chewbacca carried one of these...

I submit that both Johnson and Wittmann are phantoms. Get it? Ph(oney) Toms? ha ha ha ha. Both as crooked as each other, possibly the oldest (and worst) peddlers of dodgy gear about...

I meant it says "Deutsche Jungvolk" on the bag, not the dagger ...

Just pointing it out :)
it says exactly what it is supposed to say, Für die Hitlerjugend und das Deutsche Jungvolk - there was only ever one knife, for both HJ and DJ. Never one for the BDM, and the HJ/DJ one was always referred to as it reads on Wittmanns`s bag. So the knife he is trying to sell is not original to the tüte.

Attachments

I meant it says "Deutsche Jungvolk" on the bag, not the dagger ...

Just pointing it out :)

You seem surprised at the reaction :) It's just annoying seeing stuff like this. He is simply ignoring the available evidence wholesale in favour of:

a paper bag that abjectly fails to support his theory. It's just a standard paper bag for the standard knife.

Anyway, there are some good threads on these knives here on the forum. You've been a member here for a while so I would hope that you've come across them. The period documents currently available simply do not support the notion of a knife made exclusively for issue to the Deutsches Jungvolk.

Edit to add pic:

Attachments

The lengths some people go to is just beyond belief, pure & utter con to decieve imo.
Yes, the con is that the ones listed as sold, are not sold, but simply marked as SOLD to give the impression that at least someone else believes they are real and has paid 1900.- for one. So be quick Buddies, Heil Hitler, grab the last one before it`s gone.... but dont fret if you miss out, because as Nazi-Bob once said, Achtung collectors, we now have some more!! These are manufactured by the big boys, and moved around amongst them, Snyder has a box full, nazi-Bob from Germ-International has boxes full, and so does Johnson and Wittmann. The sales pitch never changes, the knives stay in their boxes, and none actually get sold. If you make a list of the nut-jobs that are rooting for these, and trying to coin a huge profit off modern day filth, you will soon realize that they all shelter under the same roof. the MAX club.

The small fish dealers that sing songs of praise and sell the same rubbish, do so by using one of the Twins as proof, just like the DJ knife that sold on ww2.germanhelmets.com, with the following in the description:
It is interesting to note that Tom Johnson recently had found one of these from a vet family in Michigan. Here's a link to the one Tom found and it's virtually identical to this one. http://www.johnsonreferencebooks.com/catalogue/weapons/DAGGERS/hjdjbootgravity/26227.htm
LOL.... pathetic really....but sadly that is what many collectors consider as Proof today...

The usual suspects are already congratulating Wittman on the Wacky Ass Forum thread on the "D.J." Fartenmesser.

"Wittman has come with proof that the DJ knife is from the TR time period"

and

"It looks "extremely" legitimate to me!"

and

"Tom's bag looks as real as possibly can be!
Best Wishes,
Bob
PS- It always amazes me how so many respected people can vet purchase these and it is not considered credible.
"

Apparently they cannot read German or see well enough to read what the bag says which has been pointed out here in this thread. It's only a matter of time before the famous motel expert chimes in IMO, taking a dig at this forum while he's at it. Whatever.

Here's a little excerpt for the Johnson descriptor about the knife marked sold on his site in the link above.

" The knife was brought home as war booty in 1946"

So obviously being brought home in 1946 there's no way this thing could be a post war assembled item sold to troops as "war booty"??!! Further "proof" that the D.J. were issued their own special little knife hand made by grandmas in cottages. Astounding revelation. Non believers Repent!!! Insert rolling eyes icon here.

Last edited:
Apparently they cannot read German or see well enough to read what the bag says
I cant seem to read half your post, there must be see-through tape wrapped around some of it....:faint:
Help me out please, i am not the sharpest tool in the shed by any means:

1• A period, and correct HJ/DJ knife bag is shown, marked correctly: For the Hitlerjugend and the Deutsche Jungvolk...
2• A post war knife, available today on the net from many knife makers, that has nothing to do with the Third Reich, is shown...

Deduction: Because an original and correctly marked HJ/DJ Fahrtenmesser bag is shown, that automatically proves that the post war knife, that has nothing to do with the DJ or the Third Reich, is a period piece?

Conclusion: Either i smoke way more than i should, or i am thick...but i am lost here...

Just posting the complete fairytale for future dismay and hilarity...

Regards

Russ

HYK #34889 DJ Knife with Original Paper Issue Sack – Schüttelhöfer

This DJ Knife with paper issue sack is an extremely important item to the hobby as once and for all we can now prove that the small knives with relatively crude blades are not only period but they were made specifically for the DJ. This is the first time to my knowledge that an original issue sack has surfaced. First of all, the knife is the standard DJ type being the late variety without the insignia on the scabbard. The knife has lightweight aluminum pommel and crossguard. The grip plates are the black checkered variety and they are retained by aluminum rivets having dressed heads on the obverse. The blade is the slab side type having no ricasso. The blade has good crossgraining throughout and shows signs of being in and out of the scabbard but would easily clean to full mint if someone wanted to do it. The original tan felt blade washer is in place. The scabbard is the tube steel type having black painted surfaces. The paint is easily in full mint condition. The scabbard is equipped with the black leather belt assembly and retainer loop. This leather remains in perfect condition. This small knife is virtually in mint condition.

The issue sack that it has been kept in shows quite a bit of age and has some very old cellophane tape repairs. This is not important though as what is important is what’s printed on the face of the issue sack. It has the maker’s name, “Artur Schüttelhöfer & Co. / Solingen-Wald”. Beneath this is the hobby horse trademark. Printed below is the word, “Verschriftsmässige / Fahrtenmesser / für die / Hitler Jugend / und das / Deutsche / Jungvolk”. Beneath this is the statement that the knife is of first class steel, “Ia Gusstahl-Klinge”. The statement that is important though is translated above as, “Official Fahrtenmesser for the Hitler Youth and the Deutsche Jungvolk”. I have always felt that what we call a DJ knife was really the knife that was being made for both the Hitler Youth and the DJ after 1942 when the war was raging. This issue sack and accompanying knife proves this statement.

In the past, I have also seen a photograph of a Hitler Youth member wearing one of these “DJ knives” with the insignia on the scabbard. Unfortunately I have been trying to locate this photo for two years but I know it is here in my office somewhere and eventually I will find it. I believe that this is another “mystery” in the hobby that has been solved. So, to reiterate this sack proves that not only the DJ knives without the swastikas are original but also that the DJ knife with or without swastika also served as the Hitler Youth knife after 1942. A great thing for the hobby here! As far as I know this is probably the only example that exists.

Excellent. $1,695.00

Attachments

The usual suspects are already congratulating Wittman on the Wacky Ass Forum thread on the "D.J." Fartenmesser.

"Wittman has come with proof that the DJ knife is from the TR time period"

and

"It looks "extremely" legitimate to me!"

and

"Tom's bag looks as real as possibly can be!
Best Wishes,
Bob
PS- It always amazes me how so many respected people can vet purchase these and it is not considered credible.
"

Apparently they cannot read German or see well enough to read what the bag says which has been pointed out here in this thread. It's only a matter of time before the famous motel expert chimes in IMO, taking a dig at this forum while he's at it. Whatever.

Here's a little excerpt for the Johnson descriptor about the knife marked sold on his site in the link above.

" The knife was brought home as war booty in 1946"

So obviously being brought home in 1946 there's no way this thing could be a post war assembled item sold to troops as "war booty"??!! Further "proof" that the D.J. were issued their own special little knife hand made by grandmas in cottages. Astounding revelation. Non believers Repent!!! Insert rolling eyes icon here.

hi Darin, you got a link to that thread?

cheers!

Hi Ewan, it's the first thread pinned in the daggers section at the top, "Deutche Jugend Messer". I don't post commentary on that forum nowadays like many others here that have just given up trying to enlighten people who are wildly incorrect and speculative in their post content.

Good post Darin. Just to pick up on one part of it, it never ceases to amaze ME how some people are happy to swallow absolutely everything that agrees with their position no matter how ridiculous and hair-brained it is.

Ah yes, the motel expert.. I try to ignore his posts actually because he often says stuff where you go "what?!" or "I wonder if he can actually prove that". Experience shows me that it is a waste of time discussing anything with him. His posts on that DJ knife thread are the written equivalent of not being able to look someone in the eye when you are talking to them.

By the way, I've just had a good old rummage around in my office and, well. see for yourself...

BdM member Erika, 17

"We're chuffed to bits with our new knives!"

Jungvolk Jürgen:

"What did you say? It looks stupid?"

DJ vs HJ knife-throwing competition 1945:

Attachments

Perish the thought. Okay, I'm having a little dig with those pics of course but if some verifiable evidence ever turned up showing that the "DJ" and "BdM" knives are authentic period items, I would be as happy as the owners. I mean that.

Chaps, i am still lost, completely and utterly lost. All i can say is:
Wer lesen kann ist klar im vorteil!

A great lesson though, someone talks high-grade Pooh (Wittmann), and others (Collector to collector militaria) jump on board and defend the Pooh, without even realizing that the original Pooh-talker was talking Pooh, and the Pooh shown is in fact not the Pooh that they thought it was, but rather only normal Pooh, and that they jumped the Pooh-line and came to Pooh-ish conclusions before even looking at the Pooh for themselves to see if the Pooh was real Pooh or made-up Pooh.

It must be great to be Thomas Wittmann, you can invent any old Pooh, and be sure that an Army of Pooh-eaters are waiting to pick out the peanuts, and PAY YOU FOR THEM!

Those photoshops are priceless Garry :bounce: I just had a gander at the WAF thread and can't believe what I'm seeing, This is just a bag for a HJ/DJ Fahrtenmesser isn't it? You know, the type of knife all HJ collectors have an example of and that we see in a million photos? How the hell can the conclusion be reached that the bag is proof that these little knives are "Deutsches JUngvolk" knives? What do they see that I don't? Is the bag smaller than the one for the standard knife?

What do they see that I don't? Is the bag smaller than the one for the standard knife?

Yes, this interests me also. Mr Witmann is not saying exactly why he thinks that this bag is for the knife he shows. If the bag is the proof I am failing to see the connection...? Like Mac66 has said, this could be equally the bag for the normal Fahrtenmesser der HJ u. DJ

this could be equally the bag for the normal Fahrtenmesser der HJ u. DJ
Have to correct you here, not COULD BE, it IS, the bag for the normal HJ/DJ Fahrtenmesser, it even says so...in huge letters.. Für die Hitlerjugend und das Deutsche Jungvolk

Have to correct you here, not COULD BE, it IS, the bag for the normal HJ/DJ Fahrtenmesser, it even says so...in huge letters.. Für die Hitlerjugend und das Deutsche Jungvolk

Yes, that is true. It is on all bags that I have seen and I was struggling for the reason why Wittman sees something we do not see. Crack asked about the size of the bag and I think this could be important but I do not own one to compare the size. Does someone know trhe size of the normal standard HJ knife bag?

Yes, that is true. It is on all bags that I have seen and I was struggling for the reason why Wittman sees something we do not see. Crack asked about the size of the bag and I think this could be important but I do not own one to compare the size. Does someone know trhe size of the normal standard HJ knife bag?
The size is of no importance at all, as the writing says what it was for. Even if the bag was minute, let`s just say it was the exact size of a small knife, like the ones these crazies try and palm off as TR period DJ knives, let`s just say that it was so small that a normal HJ knife would not fit in it, then, the bag would be a 100% fake. Becaaaaaause, it says loud and clear that what it was for, the Regular, conform, Hitlerjugend and Deutsche Jugend knife :) There was only ever one knife issued, and it was for both HJ and DJ. There was never a special knife issued to the DJ.

Wittmann sees many things we dont... It is not just his customers that are illiterate, but other dealers too, like that collector-to-collector-militaria whacko who is doing cartwheels on WAF because Wittmann just found the precious! Wittmann may very well be blind and illiterate himself, that would explain loads, so we should`nt be so hard to judge... Let`s have a whip-round for him (a collection) so he can go back to school and learn to read... History lessons are also what he needs, so be generous with your donations.

Back