HJ Signalgast Ärmelabzeichen (Marine-HJ signaller sleeve insignia)??

Garry

Admin
Thanks Received
Another item found on a dealer site (Hiscoll) and described as being an MHJ insignia. This is not something I've come across in the books in connection with the MHJ. Anyone any ideas? KM?

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Thanks very much Alois! :first: The only reference I found on the rank or appointment of "gast" in the HJ books was for "Oberjunggast" shown in Bekleidung u. Ausrüstung der HJ" 1934 as being the lowest MHJ rank at that time.

Hi Gents,

it seems to be my week where I can actually contribute something to the Forum - this is not always the case if there are not the right subjects in discussion.

Anyway, there was such insignia for MHJ indeed. As usual I'm caught out: having all my regulations at home - I know I have a period regulation which is dealing with Sonderabzeichen of the HJ and DJ (like Freiwilliger Marine Wehrfunk and so on). And guess what: I'm not home and won't be for a longer period. So all what I can give you are scans of my photos:

1) an evidently KM rating who gives a brief visit with temporary assignment in the MHJ - he wears obviously his KM "Kolani" (the typical sailor's tunic)
2) a MHJ boy with vaious arm insignia - one of them the signaller's badge (the boy wears a 1st pattern tally) - I'm not allowed to post the full picture as this photo is not mine and I respect the owner's right to publish (opposite to many other forum users but this has been subject in a WAF thread already and I didn't get many users behind my point of view)
3) a MHJ boy of "Bayreuth". I do not know what are the two chevrons below the signaller's insignia - I can only imagine a none-regular variation for being successful in the B course of the Reichsseesportschule

This is only a brief glance through my scanned photos - there are for sure more at home with the insignia in question. Anyway, here we keep the ball rolling.

@ Wim: you surely have a HJ regulation dealing with this badge, don't you?

Rgds

Daniel

Attachments

Hi Gents,

it seems to be my week where I can actually contribute something to the Forum - this is not always the case if there are not the right subjects in discussion.

Daniel, you keep saying that but you can start threads whenever you like. You don't have to wait until someone mentions the Marine-HJ before writing something :)

There is a reference to a patch whose description matches the smaller patch on the right in post #1. It's in the 1934 book "Bekleidung u. Ausrüstung der HJ". The patch described there was worn at that time by the Marine-HJ Signalgast (see attachment below). It is not shown as a Marine-HJ insignia in subsequent years and is not shown on a comprehensive Marine-HJ / KM uniform and insignia table dated May 1942 as being a Marine-HJ insignia. I don't see it shown or described anywhere else so would be very interested in seeing further evidence for its official existence after 1934 (assuming that the patches are indeed the same item).

The regulation that introduced the Marine-HJ Wehrfunk1 does not mention the patch with the crossed flags. It only discusses the regulation patch with lightning that was introduced for the Wehrfunker.

1 Reichsbefehl RJF 11/42 28.4.1942: Neufassung der Vereinbarung zwischen OKM and RJF über Zusammenarbeit in der vormilitärischen Funkausbildung für die KM vom 25.3.1942

Attachments

Daniel , thank you so much for your contribution . People like yourself is what makes our forum grow .

Daniel, you keep saying that but you can start threads whenever you like. You don't have to wait until someone mentions the Marine-HJ before writing something :)

Garry, I know I can start threads myself but usually don't have much "on the plate" I could start a thread about. However, if I do have questions like

http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f35/award-documents-winterkampfspiele-der-hitlerjugend-8175/
http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f15/dj-jungstammfuehrer-6536/
http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f17/pink-deutsches-jungvolk-sleeve-rune-5843/

I start threads. As you know I'm everything else but a frequent visitor of the Forum where the root cause lays mainly in the lack of time due to my profession. I regard of posts in existing threads I hesitate unless I have something what can answer a question or could progress the research of a subject - like the Signaller's patch. I'm not the type of member who posts "Nice badge.", "Looks good to me, let's see what the others are saying." and similar small talk which you come sometimes across in f.e. WAF.
I'm member of a German Militaria Forum since 9 years and brought it to an 'incredible' 119 posts - due to exactly the same reason: I say it when I have to say something. If I don't I shut up. So this behaviour is not meant to be ignorant or "information"-sucking or anything.

Garry, exactly this regulation I have at home and this is where I read it. Many thanks for showing. I must admit that I have also never seen the patch in any later dated regulation or on any later photo with 2nd pattern tally.

Rgds

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I totally agree. I know that when you write something that it will always be useful and interesting. I (incorrectly) got the impression that you were somehow complaining about a lack of Marine-HJ content so my apologies for that.

Regards

Garry

would it be safe to assume where no insignia existed , the corresponding insignia from a higher formation was used albeit only temporary :canada1

Hi Paul,

I don't personally think so. This patch was clearly an officially approved item in the early period but it was discontinued for the Marine-HJ (I'll try to find out when). Here's a table for May 1942 showing the Marine-HJ and KM insignia at that point:

http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f16/marine-patches-hj-8816/#post62294

As you can see, the patch was not to be worn by Marine-HJ members and only appears among the Kriegsmarine insignia.

Back