BDM JM blouse - Fahrtenhemd

Thanks Received
Hi,
I've encountered a while back this blouse.
As the price was right, I thought, what the hell... why not, so decided to purchase it.
But... as you can notice by yourself this blouse is NOT white but rather on the grey side.:confused1:
the descriptive read; BDM / JM gray poplin travel blouse with tag.
Buttons are white with "BDM JM" on them, rather small size (42). The breastpockets do not have any buttons.
The tag is well attached to the shirt (thrue a buttonhole) and cannot been taken of without damaging it.

BDM / JM is not my cup of tea, so any comment is welcome.

I've included some pics so you can see and give me your opinions,
:belgium

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hello

IMO it's a nice "silbergrau" BDM Fahrtenbluse. I think there existing a model without buttons on breast pockets, like your exemplar.
I will try to retrieve period photos where is possible to see the difference between white and grey shirts.
I like very much your blouse :thumb:

This pattern blouse is considered a "Traveling" blouse ... worn on field trips etc .

Hi guys,

that's a releave. :clap2:
Now that you're mentioning traveling blouse, I do recollect that the seller told me this too. :001_cool:
I found it at the time a bit strange, that for traveling the girls wore a different type of blouse.
I guess it has to be seen as some sort of Drillich blouse ?:ohmy:
But anyway thx for your reaction, it is mostly appreciated and assures me that my guttfeeling was right.

I don't know when the silvergray blouse was introduced (possible some time in 1943), but here is what I have been able to find.

[#1]
From Führerinnendienst, Gebiet Niedersachsen 8, Mädel-Ausgabe März / April 1944, Page 7-8:

"Die Dienstkleidung des Bundes Deutscher Mädel

Mädelführerin!

Aus gesundheitlischen Gründen wurde seit einiger Zeit an dem Entwurf einer neuen Dienstkleidung gearbeitet, die nunmehr in den Handel kommen kann. Die neue Dienstkleidung des Bundes Deutscher Mädel besteht aus:

silbergrauer Mädelbluse mit kurzem Ärmel und Armdreieck des Gebietes,

dunkelblauem Rock,

dunkelblauer Jacke mit Gebietsarmstreifen,

dunkelblauen Schnürhalbschuen.

Die dunkelblaue Jacke kann bei schlechter Witterung und im Winter mit anknöpfbarer Kapuze getragen werden."

Translation:

The BDM Dienstkleidung [service uniform]

Girl leader!

For health reasons, drafting of a new Dienstkleidung [service uniform] has been made for some time, which may now go on sale. The new BDM Dienstkleidung consists of:

- silver gray blouse with short sleeves and girls Armdreieck [arm triangle] of the area,

- dark blue coat,

- dark blue jacket with Gebietsarmstreifen [area cuff title] ,

- dark blue Schnürhalbschuen [laced half shoes].

The dark blue jacket can be worn with anknöpfbarer [butto on] hood in bad weather and in winter.

[#2]
Philip Baker, Youth led by Youth, vol. 3, page 144:

57.8. The BDM/JM Fahrtenbluse.
There was also a silver grey version of the standard BDM/JM blouse which was made without any buttons on the pockets. The grey material was of an attractive shade, probably chosen because it did not show the dust or dirt - of travel and camping - quite so badly as pure white. (764) shows both patterns being worn.

Junmädel, Dein Dienst in Jungmädelbund in der HJ, May 1943, rules that: JM blouse shall be "silbergrauem Stoff" but the white blouse continues to be according to regulation and must be worn out.

Photo 764: The white and grey versions, 12 December 1943, at Führerinnenapell in Hamburg City Hall.

Attachments

Hi Henrik. The Fahrtenbluse was first proposed in December 1934 and was formally introduced on the 20th of June 1935.

nice blouse Mike, i have picture with some young madels with this blouse on :)

If one of these days you get the chance, please do post some, for I would love to see this shirt in wear. When I bought it I was not all that sure about it, but I had some guttfeeling and recollected something that I' ve read about a grey BDM shirt. So I decided to go for it, and since I posted it I got allready some PM with the question should I be interested in selling.
For the time I'll keep it, I only need a vest for it and a scarf ofcourse.
Mike

Hallo Wizardelf

from ebay

and from "youth led by youth" volume 3

Attachments

Last edited:
Dorn,

Nice pictures. I've seen them, but I've never lett it sinck down that indeed these would of been those grey shirts.
Thanks for sharing this and pointing this out to me.
Mike

Hallo kameraden,another one,two girls in the group (maybe three) are wearing a grey blouse

Attachments

Back