bdm kletterweste,opinions please

Thanks Received
You don't have permission to view attachments.

hello i bought this bdm jacket by internet this week, i am not sure if the patches are original, what do you think??
many thanks

Attachments

My opinion is that the jacket and patches are both good, but the patches have been added at some point post war. They appear to be original insignia but in very good condition and the jacket appears faded and worn.

With all due respect, I stand by my opinion on the insignia. It appears totally unissued to me and does not appear to have been on that jacket for long at all, and is available easily from many sources in unissued condition. Stripped uniforms normally command far less money than those with insignia and sellers are well aware of this.

These Kletterwesten and other HJ, BDM and German military items -stripped of their original insignia-
were widely used after the war (1945 to about 150 or even 1955) as parts of civilian clothing.
You have to remember that a lot of people had hardly anything to eat in the 40s and had no money to spend on clothing.
So it might be a hand down item since it looks very well worn to me. I would also say that the insignia where added recently.
I think that pictures of these children in stripped down HJ clothing items are naturally quite rare
since their parents did not have the money to take photos if they could not even afford new cloth.
But I have never thought of it much and never checked post war photos for such items.
One will probably find some items on 1940s/1950s school class photos and other group photos.

I agree with Darin ... all original , however; restored with original unissued insignia.

many thanks for all of your replies! surely you are right, this is a jacket worn in post war, with added original insignias,which by the way are somewhat smaller than usual, maybe because this is a very small sized jacket,i have constance of small diamond patch for small bdm jackets.
regards!!

Back