BDM Ski Jacket

Thanks Received
Hello everyone, I have been offered this alleged BDM Ski Jacket.

I'm no expert in this area but I do know there are many expert opinions to be had here so I'd certainly appreciate your insight on this jacket before I decide to purchase it.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

I just received four additional images of this jacket from the current owner. Please be so kind as to provide me with your honest assessments.

Attachments

There really are no experts on BDM apparel. Unlike most other organizations of the NSDAP, the BDM wore both regulation/private purchase apparel and non regulation. If you look at period photos of BDM girls posing in groups, you will see a wide variety of jackets, shoes, bags, skirts, etc being worn. This makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to know for sure what items are authentic BDM and which aren't. I can tell by looking at this jacket that it is not the regulation skijacket, so it either is a non regulation BDM jacket or is simply unrelated to the BDM. I can't really make out the stamp, but not sure if it matters anyway. I will say this, the jacket in question does have the right look. It has a very similar style to the regulation jackets, but like I said, there is no way to know. The stick pin/tinnie of course means nothing. For all we know the owner stuck it on the collar last week. That is my honest opinion.

Regards,
Corey

Yes the jacket certainly does have me unsure, and like you've stated the pin is of no consequence when trying to determine this jackets originality.

I'll have to make a decision by tossing a coin in the end I suppose. :001_unsure:

Thanks for your assistance with this SirPayne, much appreciated.

Anyone else care to offer an opinion?

Hi Corey, you're right of course about the variety of things worn back then but it is at least possible to say what the BDM/JM should have worn in accordance with the various regulations. Unlike the HJ and DJ, the BDM and JM did not differentiate between leaders and rank and file members when it came to the skiing uniform. All wore the same.

Hi Rob,

As Corey says, this isn't the official BDM ski jacket. Below is the correct (olive-grey) BDM/JM Skibluse as shown in the 1936 RZM clothing regulations:

Attachments

Hey guys, I forgot to mention in my first post that the small pin on the collar is in accordance with period photos of other skijackets in wear. I have seen that exact pin, in that exact orientation many times before. I'll try to sift through my files and find a photo.

I don't know what it means, or the significance of this information, all I'm saying is that whoever put together this jacket was aware of the manner in which the pin "should" be worn.

Regards
Corey

The pin has nothing to do with skiing. It's a 1935 Reichssportwettkämpfe Siegernadel. This national competition was held in the summer and the badges were awarded to those who achieved the required number of points. In itself, it has no bearing on the jacket and as Corey said, someone could have slapped it on last week.

Thanks for clarifying that Garry, I wasn't sure if there was any correlation between the two.

Regards,
Corey

Crap, I got confused there :) I thought I was responding to a post from Rob. Sorry about that Corey :) More haste less speed!

Well it does appear that the jury has reached a decisionand the verdict is pass, so I suppose I’ll do just that.

Thanks guys, I did have high hopes for a good score on this one. Yet I’d prefer to spend what little hard earned funds are availableto me on the real McCoy, not an imposter.

Last edited:
Back