Thanks Received
Hello...

has anybody Information about the Berchtesgadener Trachtenjacke.
i received one of those jackets from a 95 years old women together witch the BDM achievement badges in bronce and silver, two Membership badges and a reichsjugendsportabzeichen. must be a tough Lady. she became both achievement badges in 1934 with an age of 14 years..

my Information is... that those jackets was used as an official uniform for the Frauenschaft and the BDM.

thanks and greetings from Hamburg, Germany

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hallo Shiggert.Interesting answer by garry (post #3) in this thread

http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f10/berchtesgadener-trachtenjacke-7818/

and from the website bdm history "During fall and winter, BDM girls often wore knit wool jackets with their uniforms. Those are nice for sitting around the campfire in the evenings as well. Most of these sweaters were homemade by a mother or grandmother who knitted, and many of them resembled trachten sweaters in style. A very common design was the black Berchtesgaden sweater which had red and green trim and is often seen on BDM girls. But other civilian sweaters are very common as well and you should look at photos of girls wearing them to get a good idea of period styles that you can wear."

From the cataloque "Lodenbauer Trachtenkleidung" from Innsbruck 1937,
being the seller/manufacturer Rudolf Baur (about Heimische Trachtenkleidung from Tirol).
This cataloque was specialized in regional costumes.

See upper left. It was quite common in use at specific areas.
See what is said by Garry. It was not normed and not especially
in wear for BDM or whatever. It was just for girls and woman!

Attachments

The daughter is sure, there was a hj armband on the trachtenjacke when she saw the jacket first. But her mother wears the jacket for 45 years again. At a contest she won the title of the beatifullest wife in the region.

i've found this in some german books...

Attachments

Here is a screenshot from the german homepage myheimat.
Its from an article about the Landjahrlager in Viermünden.

There are some pictures with girls wearing the jacket.
And a complete list what clothes they have to bring with when visiting the house.

Das Landjahrlager in Viermünden - Frankenberg (Eder) - myheimat.de

Attachments

Hi Shiggert. Welcome to the forum and thanks for taking the time to research, find and post your sources. As mentioned in the thread referenced by Dorn in post 2 above, the jacket was never subject to RZM approval or control but yes, it was certainly worn by girls/women during the period. However, as the 1940 Reichsbefehl says, it was not an officially sanctioned NSDAP uniform item despite the claims made in the sources you posted which say that the jacket "became a part of the BDM uniform". This statement is not supported by the 1940 Reichsbefehl and the many RJF clothing regulations that came before and after it so we can say with certainty that the Trachtenjacke was not a mandatory item of uniform clothing for the BDM in the sense, for example, that the Kletterweste was a part of their uniform.

Hi Garry, wilhelm and dorn.
Thanks a lot for your answer.
So the Berchtesgadener Trachtenjacke wasn't an official sanctioned BDM uniform... But any Mädel should have one... ;-)
For me its an historical artefact which belongs to some regions of the BDM...

And i like photos with girls wearing those jackets.
BDM is a very interesting them for me.

Hi Shiggert. Welcome to the forum and thanks for taking the time to research, find and post your sources. As mentioned in the thread referenced by Dorn in post 2 above, the jacket was never subject to RZM approval or control but yes, it was certainly worn by girls/women during the period. However, as the 1940 Reichsbefehl says, it was not an officially sanctioned NSDAP uniform item despite the claims made in the sources you posted which say that the jacket "became a part of the BDM uniform". This statement is not supported by the 1940 Reichsbefehl and the many RJF clothing regulations that came before and after it so we can say with certainty that the Trachtenjacke was not a mandatory item of uniform clothing for the BDM in the sense, for example, that the Kletterweste was a part of their uniform.

This above, as mentioned by Garry, is totally correct. In no uniform- or dress-regulation for the HJ or BDM the jacket was included. But there were areas where regional costumes (or parts) in some ways were allowed.
This is obvious when reading what is noted below (I found this note after hours of searching):

In the Reichsbefehl from April 5, 1939 it as said:
"Die Obergaue der Ostmark dürfen, soweit ihnen Trachtenkleider genehmigt sind, diese Trachtenkleider von den Mädeln beschaffen lassen".

So, it was not a norm, and not in any way an official regulation or sanctioned some "thing" from the RZM, but eventually especially granted by a higher command on behalf of circumstances.
This had to do with the Völkischer Gebrauch and in relation to Kulturarbeit.
For some areas its wearing was even forbidden, but what was forbidden got rounded with regularity. Specific areas will have been so proud of their regional
dresses, they will have pushed the girls to buy for a "uniformed" dress.

By the way: girls normally did not wear the HJ armband!

Servus.....Here a nice Photo from this Jacket in wear.....

Attachments

Likewise type of jackets were worn by girls at the females department for the
"Grosses Militär-Waisenhaus". I wonder if the woman might have been at
such an institution, due to the color of her jacket? Just a guess! See first
photograph with all the young women......

The (official) Berchtesgadener Jäckchen is from black wool and should have
a Dreieckzwickel at the back. This word I do not know how to translate in
English.

Attachments

Here are some screenshots from user Walhall.
they all came from the newspaper "das deutsche mädel"
It shows the hermann göring house of hitlerjugend in Lägerdorf in Schleswig-Holstein. it belongs to the BDM region Nordmark. on the fotos you can see many girls wearing the berchtesgader trachtenjacke. There are more than 900km between Lägerdorf and Berchtesgaden.
Lägerdorf is no typical region for the Berchtesgadener Trachtenjacke.

Attachments

Here is the backside from my jacket.

Attachments

I just quoted what I found. Who knows some district-command authorized
its wearing with the dress for dancing (Volkstanz).
Yes, and the reverse may show a Dreieckzwickel.

In the order from May 1939 also Obergau Ostland, Wien and Sudetenland-regions
were mentioned. Hochland was not, but this was anyway a sort of "traditions"-region.
Ostmark and Ostland were not allowed. For some districts in Sudetenland there were
restrictions!

Here are some screenshots from user Walhall.
they all came from the newspaper "das deutsche mädel"
It shows the hermann göring house of hitlerjugend in Lägerdorf in Schleswig-Holstein. it belongs to the BDM region Nordmark. on the fotos you can see many girls wearing the berchtesgader trachtenjacke. There are more than 900km between Lägerdorf and Berchtesgaden.
Lägerdorf is no typical region for the Berchtesgadener Trachtenjacke.

These are two different things though. Those girls aren't wearing what you show in post #1. They are wearing the BDM-Tanzkleid. See this thread (post#3):

http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f10/bdm-tanzkleid-festkleid-9309/

Edit: sorry. I didn't see the Trachtenjacke initially but yes, I see it in the third picture. As Wim says, we are quoting directly from the regulations which say what should have happened in regard to how, when, where and by whom these jackets were worn but as you will know, the regulations were not always followed.

I think it looks great...

Attachments

Back