Deutsches Jungvolk Fähnleinführer - tips on putting the correct uniform together

Thanks Received
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, and would like to share some pictures of my DJ uniform from the Nord Nordsee Gebiet Bann 381 Leer/Ostfriesland.

The badges are period attached. I've added the shoulder strap, the HJ membership pin and the Führerschnur.
Cross strap and belt are both DJ.

Could any confirm if this is the right set-up for a DJ Fähnleinführer. If not, it is off course easy to just remove the lanyard. Any suggestions for improvement? I'm thinking off adding a Winterbluse.

Thanks for looking.

For reference:

The cross strap is RZM marked: DJ/AUSF2 - L2/642/36, and the clasps are marked: M/5/71/9.
The belt is RZM marked: DJ/AUSF2 - L2/2189/38.
The aluminium buckle is marked: M4/110.
The membership pin is marked: M1/102
Scarf: no RZM tag.
Knot: no markings, but definitely looks/is period.
HJ/DJ Führerschnur

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

The Lanyard is for Gefolgschaftsführer to Obergefolgschaftsführer. This rank would be to high for this setup . I would either use a red and white lanyard cord or just not use one at all . The shirt looks all original , good job .

The lanyard is also for a DJ Fähnleinführer right?
What exactly would a DJ Fähnleinführer wear compared to this/my setup? Different shoulder straps perhaps?

The lanyard is also for a DJ Fähnleinführer right?
What exactly would a DJ Fähnleinführer wear compared to this/my setup? Different shoulder straps perhaps?
Yes, two mouse grey numbered and piped shoulder straps with three pips. See the attached photo for an example of DJ Fahnlienfuhrer straps from Bann Wolfenbuttel.

Attachments

Hi indept,

You have a few options with the uniform in that configuration as far as ranks are concerned but unfortunately the DJ Fähnleinführer lanyard you have there won't realistically work. You would need to go for a lanyard for a lower rank/appointment as Joe suggests. You have the red/white rune patch on the shirt so you could go for either an early or a late impression. A later one would be better because you are then able to display a wider range of insignia on the shirt. For a later shirt with red/white rune patch and single shoulder strap as you have there, you're looking at one of the following DJ ranks:

Hordenführer
Oberhordenführer
Jungenschaftsführer
Oberjungenschaftsführer
Jungzugführer
Oberjungzugführer

To complete the shirt for the first two ranks you would remove the lanyard and then obtain the appropriate DJ rank patch and attach it to the sleeve (wearer's right). However, your scope to add anything else to the shirt is limited because obviously boys with those ranks would have been younger and would have had had less qualifications than the older lower-level leaders. Less qualifications means less insignia so for a more lively shirt you might want to go for a higher rank in that list.

If you go for one of the ranks above Oberhordenführer in this period you will need a lanyard and the appropriate rank patch. With the single shoulder strap on the shirt as you have it there, the lanyard upper loop should be attached to a button on the left shoulder and the lower loop to the left breast pocket button. The exception to this was the red/white Jungenschaftsführer lanyard. This was also attached to the breast pocket button but instead of going to the shoulder it went to the second button down the front of the shirt.

A later shirt gives you more options and would allow you to keep the shirt essentially as you have it there. All you would need initially is a rank patch and the appropriate lanyard. You also have options with the lanyard because after 1938 it denoted the wearer's appointment and not his actual rank. Appointments were rank-ranged and that makes it easier to put a combination together that is correct.

As Darin says, those are the correct Fähnleinführer straps but it all depends on where you want to go with the shirt.

Thanks Garry, for the comprehensive information. I removed the lanyard, and will look for an appropriate one. Good to see that there are so many possibilities. I'll stick with a later shirt, because most equipment I have is post '38.

No probs. Yes, a later setup is the best way to go here I think

Back