Hitler youth cufflinks

Thanks Received
:yo:
About two year's ago I stumbled on this set of HJ cufflinks. They are small in size, so I guess in fact made for a child.
They apear to be in silver.
On the arm of the cufflink is a very small mark to see (I guess it's the marking of the juweler, no markings of silver content, for I do think they are in silver)
Actual with my camera, impossible to take a good shot of these. :frusty:
I know these kind of items are pretty damn difficult to date them, so uncertain if they are genuine, I only have the word for it from whom I bought them at the time.
As they were not that expensive, I took the risk, and thought they would come some day in use for one of my themes.
So here are some pics of them;
Any comment is welcome
Wizardelf
:belgium

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Unusal item , I dont recall a uniform that the HJ had , where cufflinks would be utilized ....unless they were worn with a civilian tuxedo or something simular .

Hi Wizardelf,

Reichsbefehl 10/I from March 1936 forbids the wearing of cuff-links on the HJ uniform so these are in all likelihood civilian patriotic items.

:yo:Ok,
Thx guy's.
That's a bummer, :thumbdown: but was to be expected.
vue to the fact that indeed on all of the cuffs of the shirt there are buttons present.
Hmm, need to rethink this over, what to do with them.:closedeyes:
Wizardelf
:belgium

This post is already old, but I came across it in the course of the 1931 advertisement that Hoodooedd has thankfully just shown.
There were enamelled cufflinks in there too https://www.hj-research.com/forum/f35/hj-price-list-november-1931-a-12858/#post85204.
It's true that they were banned in 1936, as were (the 1931 advertised) leather or metal buttons.
But. The early HJ shirts, I suspect up to 1933/34 at the latest, had no sleeve buttons, but two slots, for cuff links, like all adult civilian shirts.
By the way, a ban is of course always an indication that something was practised in exactly the same way before.

So, here comes the evidence ;-).
A shirt, undoubtedly early (metal buttons) and original.
Note the breast pockets, sewn off only once.

And a supporting photo from the Oberbann period.

Have a look at the identical distinctive pockets.

Attachments

Great post Jack.
Only too happy to post the November 1931 price list. I have other price lists from this period and earlier but this price list was by far the most comprehensive I have personally seen from the pre-1933 days of the HJ.
What's great about these lists is that they really help in identification or give clarity on previously unknown items or items that people have in their collections that have a question mark against them.

Edd

I can only agree and thank you, Edd. Your list was great food for thought. Somehow it never occurred to me to do a search for cufflinks. The accumulated knowledge of many years is one of the strengths of this, our forum.

The early things are very exciting anyway, because you can already see many later developments emerging. The shirt buttons already have a similar design to the later Steinnuss buttons, but they are darker and made of metal.

The shirt, by the way, amazingly survived the entire communist period in East Germany in an attic of a former small grocery shop ("Kolonialwarenladen").

Attachments

I'm afraid that these are all accidental finds.
In East German times, the worst thing you could somehow do was something with Nazi stuff. It was highly dangerous to own something like that. Maybe you've seen photos or documents where the swastika has been very carefully painted over with ink. You can make a bet that it comes from East Germany. A lot of things were quickly thrown away; that's why things from Obergebiete Ost and Mitte are also rather rare, in contrast to Nord-Niedersachsen or Nordmark.

I would be very sceptical if a hoard find from Thüringen or Saxony suddenly appeared.

So very true Jack, my Father and his family are from Oberschlesien (Hidenburg and Rybnik) and it was very similar there. My dad's step brothers and step sister and his cousins were all in the HJ and BDM and anything they had relating from these times was well hidden away or disposed off.

Yes, in the Eastern territories it was even worse. They had to leave their properties within a few days in 1945 (some not until 1946 in a few areas) and often had to take a maximum of 20 kg with them. Of course, such things were hardly among them, and that's why they are the rarest today.

Back