Hitler Youth leather shorts Lederhose

Thanks Received
Good day!
Five years ago, bought leather shorts HJ ... could not say whether they are original? inside there is a stamp in 1935, the stigma of the manufacturer and the three small panels HJ BDM.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

I don't like them. I don't think it existed some official RZM manufacture for the Lederhosen and was used civilian ones.

I don't like them. I don't think it existed some official RZM manufacture for the Lederhosen and was used civilian ones.

Good day!
Five years ago, bought leather shorts HJ ... could not say whether they are original? inside there is a stamp in 1935, the stigma of the manufacturer and the three small panels HJ BDM.

I also believe that it is not rzm, but gyu were leather shorts .. see picture there sergeant in the same ..

Attachments

Summer uniform member of the "Hitler Youth" included a brown shirt and black tie, held in place a brown leather buckle, black shorts (in Fig. 53, we see a young man dressed in a "lederhozen"), a leather belt and shoulder belt. Complement uniform, usually long gray socks and black leather shoes. To facilitate the administration of the country the whole of Germany was divided into the Hitler Youth-regions (HJ-Gebiete). On the left forearm shirts or jackets members "Hitler" were a sign in the shape of a triangle, which specifies the region. All the young men had knives with short blades, called "Hitler-fartenmbsser" (German "tourist knife"). Was worn on the belt in a metal sheath.

Leather shorts (Lederhosen) and white socks were authorised for wear in HJ Gebiet Hochland and Franken and also in Austria for a period of time. There are some shots of them in wear here in HJ Gebiet Hochland: http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f34/hj-gebiet-19-hochland-photo-albums-5202/

A restriction on HJ Gebiet Franken was introduced in 1934 which resulted in only Oberbann Oberpfalz and Oberbann Niederbayern being authorised to wear the shorts but later they were banned completely: http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f34/picture-postcard-sachsen-4720/#post35204

As to the matter of whether the selling of leather shorts and the procurement of a specific type for use in the Hitler Youth was controlled by the RZM I can't say. I haven't seen anything to support or deny it. Does anyone else have any info on this?

In "Bekleidung und Ausrüstung der Hitler-Jugend", the official uniform-regulation from the RJF, from January 1934 mentions on page 14: service-dress (Dienstanzug) der HJ: in the districts of Franken,
Hochland and Deutsch-Österreich the wearing of the traditional brown, short Lederhose with white socks were allowed to be worn with the so-called uniform for kleiner dienst, as well as with the grosser Dienst. This was not mentioned for members of the DJ.

The shown Lederhose is in exactly the same style as I did wear in about 1952/1953 when I was a youngster. Who put in the red stamps I don't know, but it surely was not the RZM or any other HJ-department.

Last edited:
Same here Wim but I started wearing them about 15 years after you. Loved those shorts :)

If you haven't seen anything saying that the RZM had anything to do with these then that's good enough for me. I've been looking but the only mention of the shorts in the regulations has to do with the authority to wear them. There is nothing about the RZM having any involvement.

The leather shorts were available in many sorts of leather, design and workmanship. Some were most fancy!
The page shown is from a 1937 cataloque from Lodenbauer, the concern from Rudolf Bauer from Innsbrück (Austria), who sold the so-called Trachtenkleidung for males and female.
These leather shorts one could buy just after the war all over Germany.

Garry: in the beginning I hated them to wear in the Netherlands. As soon as I wore them they called me "Hun" at school! Some years later I loved them to wear, when they got smooth from dirt and grease!!

Will have a look, but I can't remember ever having seen a note about them mentioned in the Mitteilungsblatt der RZM. It was something traditional and with such things the RZM had nothing to do.
These Lederhose were also worn within the SA and by political leaders from the same districts.For the SA it was even mentioned in the dress-regulation from March 1, 1934 as: the SA-group of
Hochland, the standarts 1 (Tirol), 59 (Salzburg) and 2 (Oberösterreich), were allowed to wear the leather shorts with the brown-shirt. BUT, when one did wear such shorts all other members from
the same group had to wear the Lederhose. I have seen political leaders wearing the leather shorts with white piped flap.

Attachments

Last edited:
Young HJ leader with leather shorts.

Attachments

Just saw this on ebay. Item number 331782640141.
Interesting Gebietsdreick in connection with a Lederhose.

Attachments

HJ Berlin

Interesting picture.
Some months or years later the same boy gots a "normal" HJ/DJ trousers and a Wehrmachtsuniform......

Attachments

Back