HJ neckerchiefs and knots

Eva

Thanks Received
Hi I am doing some costumes for theater and having some difficulty trying to find data on the nature of the neckerchiefs and knots for them. There are many pictures of them worn but nothing I can find with the scarf unfolded and off a wearer in a manner where I can assess the construct nor measurements. My first question is are these scarfs cut to a triangle or simply a square folded over? Next is what material are the bulk made of? Lastly what are the dimensions of the scarf?

Regarding the knot there are many turk knot leather style neckerchief holders still made today. The HJ however appear to have more bulk then lets say a boyscout style and most the commercially available knots are 1/2 or 5/8th inch inner diameter hole. What is the correct inside diameter hole in the knot ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated or pictures of a scarf unfolded with a ruler to scale if possible. I don;t need tag pictures and such because this is for theater where the look is more important to get correct rather then making a reenactment reproduction that needs tags and such.

Thanks in advance
Eva

Hi Eva,

Sounds like an interesting project.

Using the 1936 manufacturing regulations and a later regulation which introduced the new scarf sizes as the sources I knocked up a quick graphic showing the dimensions for the scarves (pic 1 below). The material at this time was black 'Baumwollsatin' (engl. sateen) and it was cut to a triangle shape. All three sides of the triangle were finished with a double seam. A straightforward thin black cotton material would also do the job though (something like this: http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f10/my-latest-rjf-scarf-item-2635/ ) .

This content can only be viewed by: Blue Group members.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments.
thanks

Hi Eva,

Sounds like an interesting project.

Using the 1936 manufacturing regulations as a source I knocked up a quick graphic showing the dimensions for the scarves (pic 1 below). The material at this time was black 'Baumwollsatin' (engl. sateen) and it was cut to a triangle shape. All three sides of the triangle were finished with a double seam. A straightforward thin black cotton material would also do the job though (something like this:

The dimensions for the knot holes were:

upper diameter: 0.8cm

lower: 0.5cm

Gary you are a darling and this is even better since you had two variations. I didn't realize the knots had a tapered hole as most I have seen modern made are a wooden spool with a uniform hole and the leather wrapped and glued to the outside of the spool with the Turk knot. Thank you so so much and I hope someday I can return the favor. I was initially trying to find an original to copy but I never found them for sale so this is perfect for my needs. I had assumed since so many were made and since SA seems to have less a high collectible profile they would be easy to find. This solves my problem with the neckerchiefs

best wishes Eva

Back