Information on Hitler Youth Neckscarf

Eva

Thanks Received
Hi Guys

I do costume work and have a few questions if you might indulge me. I need to make or find correct neckerchiefs for the hj and bdm uniforms. The type material and size and shape are something from photos I can;t determine. is the neckerchief a square folded to a triangle or is it material cut to a triangle and what fabric is correct and what size is correct and are both bdm and hj the same? Next I saw mention of knots that go about 25 for the real deal. Knots I have found that are similar and new construction not quite the style of hj seem to bring as much money as a real knot. is there a source for reproduction or real knots in the 25 dollar or less range and are repro neckerchiefs available or should I just make them. The knots I have found are sold by outer diameter and inner hole size so again without having the neckerchief size it's hard to say what works and is correct. Any help for sources or general data would be greatly appreciated.

thanks and happy holidays Eva

All the scarves I've owned were a black triangle, I don't know the exact size but look at photos and you could fake it okay. The knots are up on Ebay DE all the time and it may be cheaper to make them yourself if you are just making costumes that need to look okay on stage or film. The scarf is a black cotton material and the same size for both BDM and HJ.

Thanks so so much, just knowing the fabric and shape is such a big help. The knots are a pain to weave for me so for what people were talking about price wise better to just buy then spend 2 hours trying my hand at it. The western ones I have seen had a wood tube core and braided over and I assumed same for the German. I have like 30 tunics and such to make so whatever time I can save is quite a help. Thanks again so much.

Admin edit: THIS thread contains further information.

Last edited:
Back