Unusual Youth Jacket - Please Take A Look!

Thanks Received
Hi Everyone,

Just wondered if anyone has seen anything like this before? It is very similar in style to the HJ/DJ Winter Blouse - same fabric, typical buttons (metal ones are marked Overhoff & Cie; black ones, unmarked).

However, notice how the lower half of the front is open - no buttons or other form of closure. Also, there is an overhanging section of cloth to the reverse (essentially an extension of the collar) in the manner of naval dress.

Any thoughts as to who would have worn such a top?

Some vaguely similar is shown on p. 175 of the Littlejohn HJ book. Similar in that the jackets shown have the upper connecting ties (with a button at each end).

Recently picked up in Germany along with an HJ raincoat/cape and a brownshirt.

Thanks for looking.

Best,
Toby.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

More pics:

Attachments

This pattern is the early DJ Bluse Toby. I went through my photos first and I have a couple showing this in wear. One has a single tie across the neck where another boy has two and also metal buttons as opposed to plastic. The 1936 RZM regs show this blouse but it doesn't have the open front as yours has. I'll scan the photos in and will post them in a few minutes.

Here are the pics from the RZM regs in the meantime:

Attachments

Thanks Garry. That fits in with the photo I spotted in Littlejohn.

Do the photos you have show the open front as mine?

Yes, very odd that there would appear to be no way of closing the shirt below those buttons. I'm struggling to think of a scenario where that would make sense. Any signs of a removed zip or buttons? Zips were banned for use on NSDAP clothing but as we know, a ban can be a reaction or a preventative measure :) A zip would be a very long shot and perhaps a little tooo 'non-regulation' though. Struggling on this one...

Here's the earliest shot I have of the standard item in wear:

Edit (12th of March): I didn't look at my own photo closely enough there. The boy I show has no buttons on the shirt closure other than those for the cold-weather collar. This then isn't the same pattern of Bluse shown in the 1936 RZM regs either...

Attachments

Thanks for posting the photo Garry. The way it is tucked in, it could be the same type of jacket. I did look for button traces earlier but couldn't spot anything. I'll have another look tomorrow (jacket is stored now). Perhaps some sort of hook and eye idea?

heres some pictures of one i was offered a while back,

cheers steve

Attachments

last one ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Attachments

Thanks for posting the photos Steve.

It still remains a mystery as to why mine isn't closed to the lower section of the front. I've checked it closely and I can see no signs of buttons. There is a lining strip down each hem, so they seem to have been finished to a good standard.

I know its a long shot but could it have been removed from a workshop at wars end without being finished although i would have thought the buttons would have been stitched on last,

just a thought steve

Dj blouse IMO , very nice early example with large fall down collar and would look lovely in my collection!!!:001_tt1: As for the front closure the best i can come up with is some sort ''modification'' as quite a lot of the material would be stuck in his pants, interesting find .:thumbup1:

Dj blouse IMO , very nice early example with large fall down collar and would look lovely in my collection!!!:001_tt1: As for the front closure the best i can come up with is some sort ''modification'' as quite a lot of the material would be stuck in his pants, interesting find .:thumbup1:

Thanks for your repy Pete. Only just noticed it.

Best,
Toby.

New thoughts after a long time

If you are not shure that the back buttons are older than 1935 it might as well be a past 1945 Jacket used with the German Boy Scouts or parts of the German youth movement after 1945. One can still buy these kind of jackets and you may check google or ther German Wikipedia for "jungenschaftsjacke". The first jacket of this kind was introduced in 1929 and was copied 1933 by the Jungvolk. The 2 Pockets proof it was definitely made after 1933 because these pockets never existed on the pre 1933 jackets. The black buttons were forebidden in 1935 but i think not everyone took this order too serious. (Using the black ones meant you considered yourself as a member of the forbidden youth movement, but i guess this was only known in larger cities and places were the groups still caused trouble). Nowadays the zipper is quite often used with these kinds of jackets with German Scouts and so are the 2 pockets. I am not sure when the first ones appeard with zippers. Maybe already between 1933 and 1945 or much later. I hope I could help a bit.

Back