Who was allowed to use riding style pants? - Another silly doubt by Albrecht

Thanks Received
Yesterday I was asking myself who was allowed to wear the riding style pants.
We have the brown ones and after the black ones.
Well who used it? Just leaders? Streifendienst?

I know the Pioneers when the brown ones existed they used it in black, but I don't know so much more about riding pants.

Riding style pants - Breecheshose/Stiefelhose [English: Breeches]

According to the RZM Herstellungsvorschriften from 1936, page 36, black Breecheshosen were only allowed for use by the HJ units:
Flieger, Kraftfahrer, Pioniere, Nachrichten and DJ leaders.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Last edited:
Stiefelhose

Hi Albrecht,

Following on from Henrik's info I'm looking at regulations here dated 1937 (still in effect late-war) and the Stiefelhose was permitted for wear by HJ and DJ (less Marine-HJ) as follows:

Full-time drivers of staff vehicles
Wachgefolgschaft Baldur von Schirach
DJ lower leaders who were 18 or older
DJ lower leaders from age 14 working full-time in a staff position
Mid and high-level HJ and DJ leaders

The Stiefelhose was black (blue/grey for Flieger-HJ). The SRD did not have a special uniform and they wore the Stiefelhose in accordance with the list above.

Then a simply Hitlerjugend rank could wear it if it was on one of these units ?

I have two pics whit musicians wearing the pants, and the flute musician it is wearing it and seems he do not have rank.

Attachments

Last edited:
The Stiefelhose was worn by the the HJ high leaders [HJ-höheren HJ-Führerschaft] as a part of the “grosse und kleine Dienstanzug”.

(Aufbau und Abzeichen der Hitler-Jugend, 1940[?], page 61-64)

Attachments

No, according to the regulations Henrik and I are quoting he shouldn't have been wearing them but..... as we know, some odd items and uniform configurations were worn. I'm just saying what they should have worn during the time-frame mentioned. What they actually wore was sometimes a completely different matter. Also, the further back in time you go the more variation you see which is why we really need to look at the complete period to see what changed and what didn't before we can say that we have a complete answer. This is why I gave the date for the source I was using :) As you can see, Henrik's info is different to mine even though mine appeared only a year after his so we have a case in point right there.

If you are putting a uniform together which a boy would have worn then you can't go wrong by copying a photograph. If you dressed a tailor's dummy in a uniform exactly like the musician in your pic then it would be 'right'. It can't be wrong because you have a photograph showing a boy with a uniform in that configuration. However, his uniform may be 'wrong' in terms of the regulation and those are the kinds of answers I tend to give. Mine is just one opinion though and that's what is great about the forum approach - everyone can come at the issue from their own angle and with their own information and ideally all of that info produces a good and balanced answer :)

If someone has some written information on the Stiefelhose for the period 1932/3 to 1936 I hope that they'll add it here.

And after 1936?

I am really curious about that.
I want to do an austrian musician HJ, after 1938, but I was thinking if was okay put in it the stiefelhose.

You originally asked a blanket question: who wore the riding-style pants? This was the Stiefelhose and I gave you the answer from a regulation covering the period 1937 to late-war. Henrik gave you the answer for 1936.

It transpires though that that you are looking at Austria - musician - 1938 so I referred you to my first answer because that gives you the information. I'm assuming of course that you mean Austria after the Anschluss and the official creation of the Austrian Gebiete. Musicians aren't mentioned specifically in the regulation so in lieu of further information we must assume that they were not authorised to wear the Stiefelhose for the period I was discussing unless they satisfied one of the criteria mentioned in the list. I think we're saying quite a lot really...

Back