HITLER YOUTH CLOTH????

Thanks Received
CAN ANYONE TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT THIS CLOTH.IT WAS PART OF A BUNCH OF STUFF BROUGHT BACK FROM WW2.IT WAS FOLDED IN A GERMAN IDENTIFICATION BOOK.??

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Looks like some kind of souvenir scarf or handkerchief. What size is it?

I agree with Henrik. Looks like a souvenir. As to whether it dates from the period I couldn't say as it's the first I've seen. .

Ob es sich um ein Original der Zeit handelt kann ich auch nicht sagen.
Aber ein schönes Motiv auf jeden Fall.
Gefällt mir gut.

Handkerchief Taschentuch

I think that we would have seen more of these if they were fakes. I think it is period and probably made during the time when a lot of smaler companies tried to make money by producing souveniers connecting to the party, which was later forbidden.
By the uniform worn, one who knows could probably nail down a possible year. The castle in the background may also be familiar to someone. It is not necessarily a fantasy castle. I'd think it is Sachsen or Thüringen. Christian

I have seen simular cloth like these in the USA .
During the period from 1900 to the 1930s you could get printed square sized cloth of Baseball Players , Presidents , Indian Chiefs or of someone famous ...... inside select CIGAR boxes . :001_cool:

Last edited:
... it is period and probably made during the time when a lot of smaler companies tried to make money by producing souveniers connecting to the party, which was later forbidden.
Christian
Hi Christian, do you have reference material to back this up? that these kind of Souvenir items were later Forbidden?
I would have agreed with you up until a while back, and IMHO this has somehow come to be the general accepted rule, that after the NS took over, all Nazi-Kitsch was prohibited. I have started to look into this myself, and until now, have only found black & white proof of the opposite ! Lots of the Kitsch did fade away after the NS were in control, but i have yet to find any direct proof that it was actually forbidden after any certain period/date.

Hitler Youth cloth

I saw this thing on Ebay it is up to 431.00$ with 2 days to go! My God I need to start selling my stuff.:scared::puke::puke:

yes i do have it listed on Ebay.Was just cleaning out some of my collection.Thought little of this piece then the numbers started jumping and people were asking me to sell it directly to them??
Now i am curious to its origins.Is it a one off?? Or is there more of this one?

Hi Christian, do you have reference material to back this up? that these kind of Souvenir items were later Forbidden?
I would have agreed with you up until a while back, and IMHO this has somehow come to be the general accepted rule, that after the NS took over, all Nazi-Kitsch was prohibited. I have started to look into this myself, and until now, have only found black & white proof of the opposite ! Lots of the Kitsch did fade away after the NS were in control, but i have yet to find any direct proof that it was actually forbidden after any certain period/date.
Good Question Metallwarenfabrik, I will have a look and let you know, but I need time till next Weekend. You are right, sometimes "one just knows things" but it is always best to have some kind of proof. I will have a look. Christian :001_cool:

HJ cloth

Mike, if you have some one who will pay that much for the cloth I would take it. I think it is real and I think it maybe rare simply because I have never seen one before. I think it was some sort of premium that was included in coffee or sugar,maybe tobacco,or possibly a souvenir from a city or one of the Nuremberg Rallies. Anyway good luck with your sale

:frusty: Well, I have to admit I could not find anything on black & white, but I will ask some more friends about this who might have some period information on it and will come back to it later. If there was anything written, we will find it sooner or later. :001_rolleyes:

The castle might be Cochem / Mosel which I just found pictured in a 1936 Spielschar magazine, during research.

:frusty: Well, I have to admit I could not find anything on black & white, but I will ask some more friends about this who might have some period information on it and will come back to it later. If there was anything written, we will find it sooner or later. :001_rolleyes:
Yes i hope so, as all i have found to date is the opposite. Even though the Swastika had later restrictions placed on it, regarding how it was allowed to be used, and on what items, the only evidence about Souvenirs, and jewelery etc... sympathizer items and non-regulatory items that i have found, is allowing people to actually make them ! I have also heard the rumor for many years now that "all this kinda Nazi-Kitch" was banned after the NSDAP came to power in 1933, but i don't know who first spread this story or where it comes from, and i don't believe it for one minute. Any item that was not official was allowed to be made for sure, even way after 1933.

You know, when ever there was a "Ban" on anything, it was well documented, like for example the NSDAP banning all writers from Printing any anything said by Adolf Hitler, ie: Quoting him from his speeches etc... or banning the production of non-conforma NSDAP stickpin eagles .. two banal examples, but what i am getting at, is that i dont believe there is any proof that staes after 1933, or after the NS took over, that Kitch items, or souvenirs were forbidden.

I believe it is a silly story, that some silly person wrote long ago without any research, that we have all just taken to be the truth without researching.

I've got a complete set of Reichsgesetzblätter for 1939 and 1940 so I started looking through them to find something on this as the old laws are of course referenced if a change is made. Well, after 10 minutes of trying to read the index of 1939 II without breaking the book's delicate back I decided to google instead :) Anyway, this law may well be the one Jo:

Gesetz zum Schutze der nationalen Symbole vom 19. Mai 1933

Same but English translation

This page (or click for english version) describes the kinds of mad products which were made and also describes the attempts to stamp out the misuse of the party symbols.

I've been going through loads of my HJ and BDM magazines and only found one advertisement (see below) in a late-1933 copy of 'Das deutsche Mädel'. After that there is nothing - well, not in the stuff I have anyway.

Attachments

Well done Garry! I do have at least one Eklöh catalog. These items were quite popular in the völkische part of the youth movement. I don't think that the Nazis were thinking about those items. The newspaper article indicates more exactly what they were after. The law itself is very open to be interpreted as wanted by the ones in power. But nothing was exactly forbidden by it. With this law anything could be withdrawn If considered so by a NSDAP judge. Just what they wanted. Haha.

Garry, yes that's common knowledge, and also mentioned over and over in the RZM papers, even with direct reference to specific court cases, trails and punishments, but none of them are for items like Souvenirs and general Sympathy items, Jewelry watches etc etc....and as we can read right at the start of the RZM papers, in June 34 when the RZM changed their minds and specifically allowed Watchmakers, Jewelers and Goldsmiths to make and sell Jewelry with the Insignia on.... and so on.... but has effect on what i am actually referring to, like Sympathy items, Souvenirs etc.... that is directed towards the incorrect and/or defamatory use of the Hoheitssymbol, and not the Symbol per say. So as informative as it is, it has no bearing at all on Nazi Kitsch as such, depending what you mean when you say Kitsch i guess, for me, Swastika necklaces, watches and such fall into the category Kitsch too. So it`s no indication that these kind of items, like what started this thread off were not allowed to be made after 1933 unfortunately.

Christian is right, the law could, and indeed was, interpreted very differently, changed, twisted adapted, etc etc, as you will see by the many Updates of the Law you posted mentioned a great deal through the mid 30`s... and amended etc etc.

How much Kitsch was produced for events like the 1936 Olympics? the Reichsparteitage etc etc....
You know how hard it was for the RZM to actually get control of the Makers and sellers, and get them all dancing in line .... it took years, from the start of the RZM until the laws were being followed by all, maybe 10 years!! and i doubt that their main issue was fighting against Nazi Kitsch makers, even Bad kitsch, or defamatory stuff, although after war broke out, i guess your neighbor would have ratted you out to the Gestapo possibly for making Adolf-Toilet paper :jaw:. Maybe i should have been more specific, and not called it all Kitsch, but it`s not this law though, i was hoping to find some direct reference to general items that bore the swastika, like are mentioned by the RZM in 34. I would have thought, or hoped, that everyone knew about this law passed after the NS took over anyway?
Maybe it`s because of someones wrong interpretation of this Law, that it has generally come to be accepted that in 1933 all the Kitsch was banned? Hope not, because that is not what the law is saying, or said in any of the revised and updated versions. Maybe this is as far as it went? and it was left open to interpretation, ie: depending on who found what offensive or not? Probably, and also Typical NS laws, leave the doors wide open to include your Grandmother and cousins later on if they needed, and the cat!

Well yes, it took me 10 minutes tops to find both of those pages so I'm not claiming this as breaking news Jo :) I'm 95% HJ / 5% (rest of the TR) so outside my envelope I'm a total 'dilettant' :)

I guess, it`s the same today when you look at how countries and governments act, as long as the penny is swinging in their favor, alls well, but as soon as someone has something against you, you are the criminal. Lets also not forget how the left hand never knew what the right hand was doing back then as well. I dont think there will be any solid proof of any specific item being banned, and i guess, even if we did, it could still be assumed that many did just what they wanted regardless. Well Garry, that's more than me, i am 83% early DAP, 3% other TR and 10% Hippy :001_cool:

Back