HJ BDM cloth Sports Diamonds

Thanks Received
Hello All,
I saw this mint sports vest Diamond still with RZM tag on it so as the last mint one that I saw was under the Brandenburg Gate on a flea market stall (and I didn't buy it) I decided to get this one for my collection.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Then I saw the follow on badges so I just had to have them all! I think I should have just bought the one in Berlin, it may have satisfied my craving

All the best
Doug

Attachments

BDM Sports Diamond

very nice,.these are a great item,.superb in mint condition,nice find.i have a couple of these.attatched is a used one i have in my collection.

si

Attachments

Very nice Si,
I am suprised how similar your diamond is to the ones I have in respect of the construction and embroidery.
I wonder if they are from the same maker?

All the best
Doug

BDM Sports Diamond

i have only seen these in two sizes my one is fairly small in comparison to your's & my other diamonds,i have attatched a picture i took a while back for a comparison in size,do you think they were all made the same size & my one has shrunk due to weather & washing etc.also i doubt that there would be alot of different makers of these diamonds,.i would love to find out how many companies made them & where.i might do some research on it soon.hopefully someone has some information on these.

cheers mate:good:

Attachments

Now that size comparison is interesting.
I have recently watched the series 'Hitler's Children' and on a shot showing some BDM girls in sports kit their diamond didn't look as big as the ones that the HJ lads were wearing.
I wonder if that is the difference, the large was for the HJ and the small for the BDM.
I also wonder if the sleeve diamond was smaller than that for a sports vest or were they just interchanged depending on which unit the child served in.

Going down the rout of makers and how many there were,
Well we have at least three of makers so far:
RZM A A4 889 which is the maker of the ones I show individual badge numbers around 356475
RZM A A4 99 The one that you show here
With individual badge number: 382860
RZM A A4 387

Individual badge numbers: 451358

So if we assume the production run was around 500,000 for each of these 3 firms it gives us a figure of say 1.5 million (I have never seen an RZM label with numbers above 500.000 but I am sure other members may have)

If you then read the wikipedia page they quote 7.7 million
(Bearing in mind some of the older HJ would have left the organisation so guessing an additional 1.3 million members) So total membership around 9 million members.

If we are now to assume that each child was only issued/purchased one diamond it still gives us a shortfall of 7.5 million diamonds.

Consider each firm was only given a contract for half a million we could be looking at least 15 other makers.

Now looking at this picture

There are two additional makers who are producing qualification badges.
A M4 134 and A M4 226
I don’t know if the large A then the stylised M4 plus makers number refers to makers of qualification badges but these firms could very well have been involved with the production of diamonds.

So some research to be going on with there.

All the best
Doug

Attachments

Back