Regional Fanfare Banner Question

Thanks Received
I was wondering if there was anyone who would be able to clear something up for me. There is a trumpet banner on a site that says that it is from the town of Baden-Württemberg but that is obviously incorrect. The coat of arms does however match the County of Ravensburg during the Roman Empire County of Ravensberg - Wikipedia . And also referenced as a divided region under Prussian rule as County Mark and County Ravensberg as referenced here Prussia - Wappen von Preussen / Arms (crest) of Prussia . The banner would have been for the Studentenbund so a county would make sense but I was wondering why the only references to this flag in usage were from before the Third Reich. The current coat of arms for Ravensburg is totally different from the 3 Chevron Shield that is displayed... not a big surprise. When the Germans took over a territory would they reinstating the old coat of arms from different periods? General knowledge would be great but any information specific to this particular item would be excellent.

Here is a link to the add the images are watermarked and it is marked as sold so I don't know if I would be allowed to post the pictures here. Sorry I am so vague on this but I do not want to post something in an incorrect manner. Mainly I am just curious as to why the Coat of Arms would be from those time periods and not have a reference to which was used during WWII. Here is the crest as used on the back of the banner though

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments.
Cheers. I had a quick look about for info and found a link on german wikipedia between the old County of Ravensberg and a catholic student organisation located within Regierungsbezirk Minden which later covered the territory:

1919 diente die Grafschaft als Namensgeber des katholischen Studentenvereins Ravensberg im Kartellverband katholischer deutscher Studentenvereine zu Münster.

So this group in Ravenberg took on the name of this old county in 1919 and possibly the heraldic symbol too and was part of a larger association (Kartellverband katholischer deutscher Studentenvereine - an umbrella organisation for catholic student associations which existed for a time in the NS period but had done for many years prior). Possible then that this Ravensberg group retained the symbol when the NS Studentenbund was formed. I don't have any info on that though.

Seems like a good explanation for the appearance of the banner and it's unlikely to be one that a faker would come up with :)

Thank you for the information as I was a little confused based on what I was able to pull up at the time. I try to do my own research as best as possible but was coming up with very limited information. It would seem that Wikipedia for this area has much more information if one is looking on the German language page. I will have to keep that in mind in the future and find a good copy and paste translation service as it is a terrible feeling to have someone quote Wikipedia for an answer.... an "I should have caught that" moment.

...as it is a terrible feeling to have someone quote Wikipedia for an answer.... an "I should have caught that" moment.

:)

What I meant with
I had a quick look about for info and found a link on german wikipedia..
was that you had already done the work. I just ended up on Wikipedia after following a link and then saw that little snippet of info. Pure luck and not something I could have found in any of my books.

Back