Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New members and members with older accounts who have not posted for a while

Before you proceed:

If you reached this post by clicking on a notice which says that your profile email address is unreachable, please
    >>contact us<< so that we can get your account up and running again.

If you would like to see your current post-count please click on "My Profile" (top right of any page). In your profile, click on the tab marked "About Me" and you will see your current post-count listed under "Statistics". While you are viewing your profile you might also like to note the colour of your username. This can be seen over to the left on your "My Profile" page.

If your account is functional and you have established that you cannot view full-size attachments on the forum, please read on:

In support of the forum aim, we like to see members contributing useful posts to the forum and continuing to do so on a regular basis. If you have a free account and have not made any posts yet (or if it has been over 30 days since your last post), you will need to make a post. This will upgrade your account to "active" status and will enable the viewing of full-size attachments. You could, for example, show your latest purchase, ask a question or assist another member with a question he or she might have (please refer to the
    Notes section below for more on this, specifically the note about unacceptable posts). Once you have made a post your account will automatically upgrade to "active" status and you will then be able to view full-size attachments for at least 30 days (there is more on that period later in this post).

If you would prefer not to post on the forums but you still require access to full-size attachments (and much more) you might like to consider one of our paid subscriptions.

For detailed information on the purpose of the changes and on the various account types please continue reading below.

Summary:

To see full-size attachments you must have one of the following account types:

Free accounts:
    Regular Member (active)

Subscription accounts:
    Full Member Gold
    Full Member Silver

Members with free accounts who regularly1 contribute new posts and threads to the hj-research forums will always see full-size attachments. Members who do not contribute new posts and threads on a regular basis will only see thumbnail versions of attachments. Once members reach a post-count of 10002 this restriction is removed.

Members with paid accounts can always see full-size attachments.

1at least one new post or thread every 30 days. See Notes section below for further clarification.
    2this number is reviewed at regular intervals and may be increased without notice to keep pace with forum development.

"Okay, tell me more about the different types of account"

Free Accounts:

A Regular Member account is one which satisfies one of the following conditions:
    a. the member has not yet made a post.
    b. the member has a post-count of between 1 and 999 but has not made a post within the previous 30 days.
    A Regular Member (active) account is one where the member has a post-count of between 1 and 999 and has posted at least once within the last 30 days.

A
    Senior Member account is one with a post-count of 1000 or more.

Regular Member account holders cannot see full-size attachments.
    Regular Member (active) and Senior Member account holders can always see full-size attachments.

Paid accounts:

Full Member Gold

Full Member Silver

Some members prefer to read the forums as opposed to actively participating but without being able to view full-size images, it's often difficult to fully appreciate the information in a given thread. To alleviate this situation we offer the facility to upgrade your account to
    Full Member (Silver or Gold). In addition to offering you more content and facilities, these accounts remove the requirement to make posts in order to see full-size attachments. You can still make posts with these accounts of course but there are no disadvantages if you don't.

"Understood. So what do I need to do?"

Free Accounts:

"Regular Member" account holders with a post-count of 0:

after you have made your first post in a qualifying forum (see notes below) your account will automatically upgrade to "Regular Member (active)" and you will be able to view full-size attachments for at least 30 days. All you have to do to retain active member status is to ensure that you do not allow more than 30 days to elapse between posts. If you allow this to happen, your account will lose the facility to view full-size images and will revert to "Regular Member" status. This will remain so until you make a new post.

"Regular Member" account holders with a post-count of between 1 and 999:

simply make a new post or start a new thread when you next log in and your account will automatically upgrade to "Regular Member (active)" and the 30 day period will then begin anew. All you have to do to retain active member status is to ensure that you do not allow more than 30 days to elapse between posts. If you allow this to happen, your account will lose the facility to view full-size images and will revert to "Regular Member" status. This will remain so until you make a new post.

Both account types
    always have the facility to upload images to posts/threads.

Paid accounts:

Please click for more information.

"So what happens when I reach 1000 posts?"

Once you reach 10003 posts, your account will automatically upgrade to "Senior Member". You will then always see full-size attachments and the requirement to make posts at regular intervals will no longer apply to you. However, if you can amass a total of 1000 posts then clearly, you see merit in the forum and we would hope to see you continuing to make new posts in the future.

If you reach 1000 posts and do not see "Senior Member" under your username please contact Admin.
    3this number is reviewed at regular intervals and may be increased without notice to keep pace with forum development.

I hope that these changes will encourage even more of the HJ-Research membership to get to know each other and to share their thoughts, questions, knowledge and experience.

Notes:

• You may need to log out of the forum and then log back in to see the change in your account status! Account promotions may take up to 5 minutes to become effective.
    • Posts made in any of the following forums will not count towards a member's post count: "Notices", "Test Area", "Stammtisch", "NSDAP", "New Members", "Auction links" and "Other Collections".
    • "Throwaway" posts which are considered to have been made purely to retain viewing privileges or to gain promotion may be deleted when found. Decisions on such posts will be made by moderators as and when they encounter them. Another type of post that will be viewed unfavourably is one where a member requests assistance with an ostensibly legitimate question but who then does not return to that question despite continuing to visit the forum.
    • Until promoted (after meeting the requirements set out above), "New Member" accounts will have limited access to the private messaging system. This is a measure designed to ensure that members who write posts and get involved in discussions have priority over the system resources.

Thanks for the update Garry. Hopefully the "lurkers" will post some content or ask questions that encourage more participation.

Indeed Darin. I would look forward to that.

I have had a couple of private messages expressing concerns that I introduced the changes in post 1 above purely to make money (hah!) and that I am running the risk of excluding members from using the forum. I have answered those PMs to the respective members' satisfaction but let me assure all of you that the objective of the changes was to encourage members to post more often and to mitigate the negative effects of serving attachments (increased server load and higher bandwidth usage) to members with free accounts who prefer not to make posts or who post infrequently.

Members with free accounts who post regularly (at least once within a period of 30 days) will see no change to the forum. It will work as it always has and full-size attachments will always be shown. However, those with a free membership who do not post regularly will be unable to view full-size attachments until they make a new post or start a new thread (new members must make two posts before this restriction is lifted).

As mentioned in the note in post 1 above, it will not be viewed favourably if members make throwaway posts simply in order to gain viewing privileges.

The aim is to see useful content being posted on a regular basis.

I hope to have cleared up any misconceptions some of you may have had about the changes.

Please login to view user info
    Thank Garry . Hopefully by next year we can reach the 2,500 member mark .

good move we all know money is not the motive here and if it was would be worth every penny

im more disappointed in any members here who sent you a pm in the first place thinking the changes where only to make money,clearly they dont know how this forum has always worked and why it is here

The money taken in exchanged for the hours spent running the forum would be slave wages. This forum does not have 25000 paying members and paying "sponsors" like the WAF has. Server space costs money, period.

Thanks for your comments guys. Clearly I can't say who the members were Paul but both of them were under the misapprehension that I was forcing everyone to pay (there is a German militaria forum that does this for example).

Just thought I should add that as a current free member, I personally think that this is a great little idea. I will be buying a gold subscription anyway very soon as I want to support the forum and also make use of the fakes database.
    Keep up the great work, this forum has proved a very useful source over the years for me and many others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast