Button with A unknown

Thanks Received
Good morning,
In a recent thread, you have identified a button with the "S"!
Now I would like you to identify a similar button with a A.
For HJ shoulderstraps too?
And what means the A in german? Ausbildung??
Thx,
Christophorus

Last edited:
I have the same button. I don`t know what is mean "A".
I bought it for my friend- he think that it is mean "Aufklarung".
But it is were NEW MADE (repro) buttons. They were like real wehrmacht buttons and have an RZM markings.

I can try and find a shop on eBay where i buy it.
Also in this shop I bought some buttons with numbers, they also was RZM-markered.

Here they are:

WWII:Schulterklappenknopf 19 mm mit A ,1 Paar bei eBay.de: 1918-1945 (endet 04.01.11 08:39:43 MEZ)

RZM marking on my buttons is like on "11" buttion:
RZM (above)
M5/71
WWII:Schulterklappenknopf,19 mm 11. 6 Stück bei eBay.de: 1918-1945 (endet 10.12.10 08:38:38 MEZ)

More markings:
WWII:Taillienhaken,Alu,M5/71 2 Stück bei eBay.de: 1918-1945 (endet 10.12.10 10:52:51 MEZ)

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Thanks for the links. Humm no idea in fact...
A friend told me "für Ausland" maybe.

I don`t have any ideas too. As I say my friend think that it is WH buttons for reconnaissance.

Attachments

I asked the same question at my friends who collect Heer stuff. They don't think "A" means Aufklarungs...
With RZM marking this button is probably NSDAP, W. Saris says maybe for the Akademie für Jugendführung, it is a possibility :blink:

OK an thank you Kursan for your help,
I didn't know!!!
So NEW MADE written on the back = REPRODUCTION
If someone know what's mean the A, don't hesitate!
See you soon

Thank you Lauri for your help :clap2:.
"Akademie für Jugendführung" why not!
In any case, there are some buttons with the RZM mark which have been used by the Heer, like the Company buttons, so not already for the NSDAP party...
If you have any other information...

:help:

Instruction

If I remember well, "A" is for "Ausbildung" (Instruction).
When the boys came, at 10 years, to the Jungvolk, they first belongs to the Ausbildungs-Fähnlein.

Last edited:
If I remember well, "A" is for "Ausbildung" (Instruction).
When the boys came, at 10 years, to the Jungvolk, they first belongs to the Ausbildungs-Fähnlein.

Super!
Thank you very much for this answer "Debertex" :clap2:,
you save us :hail:

There were certainly "Ausbildungs-Spielmannszüge" for new musicians but the regulations don't mention a special button for them.

Edit:

"...the beginners (Anfänger) should be formed into an 'Ausbildungs-SZ"*

*from 'Der Dienst in den Musikeinheiten der Hitler-Jugend' 1.10.1941 (Service in the music units of the HJ)

Last edited:
It was not only for the musicians, but all the boys belongs a few weeks to this instruction company (Ausbildungsfähnlein) before to be dispatched to the regular ones. I suppose that the "A" button was only worn by the staff and other instructors of this Fähnlein(e)... and not by the newbies too and that's why he is so rare.

Perhaps but we really need a regulation/period reference to nail this button as being Hitler Youth and for the purpose described.

Of course, you are right Garry ! I consider, too, that, on one side, there is the evidence (text from regulation and serious memories or pictures) and that,on the other side, there is just... "chatter".

Very old thread I know but rather than start a new one on this subject, I thought it would be better just to add this info here in case anyone searches for the term "Ausbildungsfähnlein". I was clearly a little lazy or preoccupied when I made my first post in this thread so here's an addition to it:

Verordnungsblatt der RJF IV/13 12.6.1936 "Jahrgangsweise Aufbau der Hitler-Jugend" (Age-based organisation of the HJ ) shows that when new members joined the DJ at age 10 they went into Jungzug 4 of the Fähnlein to which their home address was allocated. At age 11 they moved up to Jungzug 3, at 12 to Jungzug 2 and finally at age 13 to Jungzug 1. At age 14 these boys would transfer to the HJ and would be a part of Schar 4 of the Gefolgschaft to which their home address was allocated. No "Ausbildungsfähnlein" is mentioned for the DJ in that regulation (still extant in late-1942) to the effect that it was a holding formation for new members of the DJ.

In a 1941 book issued by Gebiet 19 Hochland entitled "Dienstvorschrift - Ausgabe DJ-Führerschaft" there is a description of something called the "Ausbildungseinheit" or "A-Einheit". These were formations created with the aim of training potential leaders. The book describes how boys spent six months in the "Ausbildungseinheit" learning the skills required for successful leadership and to prepare the best of these boys for leadership of a Jungzug (for HJ: Schar) in order to ensure that there was always a pool of trained personnel ready to take on a leadership role should the incumbent leader become ill or be transferred out ("Weg und Ausbau der Führerbildung" from May 1942 also describes the "Ausbildungseinheit" but for the DJ, the period of training is given as 12 months) . This book does not mention any special uniform changes to identify members of the "A-Einheit" i.e. the "A" shoulder strap button. For the DJ, these formations were organised within a DJ-Stamm so clearly, as Debertex says, there were units known as "Ausbildungsfähnlein" but rather than them being holding formations for new members of the DJ we can see that they were training formations for lower-level leaders.

So anyway, to get to the point of all of this, the "A" button isn't mentioned anwhere in the regulations covering the lower level leader training units and it isn't mentioned in the HJ/DJ clothing regulations either so although it does make logical sense to have a special "A" button for boys who were members of these training formations, I don't personally see anything that would substantiate it.

Have you seen the picture of a DJ with an A on his shoulder strap in one of the "Youth led by Youth" books?

No, unfortunately not Lauri, I sold my copies some years ago. Can you show it please?

Back