Genuine shoulderboard button, gold with the number 29?

Thanks Received
Hi to all,
Need your help to learn more about this button number 29.
At first, I believed it was a gefolschaft button for HJ, but it is very strange as this button appears to be slighty gilt and moreover no RZM marks!!!!
Never seen before!
Is it possible it was worn by some high rank in the WH before 1939?
Maker mark= C.T.D= Carl Theodor Dicke, Lüdenscheid

Do you know whether CTD has procuded buttons after the war?
As a rule, post-war numbered buttons are either unmarked or marked with Assmann logo...
Any help would be appreciated!

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Interesting button. I've not seen one before in this color. I don't have time at the moment to check any of my references for the use of a gilt colored button but will look into it later.

Many thanks for your interest "Gefolgschaft".
I am really eager to learn more about this interesting button.
To my mind he looks like a genuine ww2-era button: marks and slighty rusty in several places.

The other possibility is that he was worn in the WH but as a rule the number of compagny did not exceed 16, sometimes 17...
It remains a complete mystery.
Christophorus

Last edited:
Hello,

There is a Marine HJ schulterklappenknopf (gelb) in the 1939 preisliste. Maybe a response?

After checking the 1936 regulation, there is no number on the button :(

Attachments

Hi Christophorus,

Just to continue with Lauri's suggestion: as he says, the standard MHJ button did not have a Gefolgschaft number but I have an undated regulation here (below) that talks about the 18mm shoulder button worn by MHJ Gefolgschaftsführer (when wearing the blue "Dienstanzug" uniform). These were also gold but they had the Gefolgschaft number (for independent MHJ Scharen the number denoted the Schar).

"26" would not be unusual for the HJ generally of course but it would be extremely high for the MHJ. An exception would be Bann 202 MHJ Hamburg which was a Bann composed of MHJ units. I don't know the total number of Gefolgschaften within that Bann but the unit list shows that there was a MHJ-Gefolgschaft 16 in 1940 so it is possible that there were more.

Having said all of the above, the pebbling on your button doesn't match that of the standard HJ/DJ shoulder strap buttons and then there is the matter of the lack of RZM markings as you point out. As the only formation likely to have a MHJ Gefolgschaft number that high it is worth noting that MHJ Bann 202 was raised in June 1935 so if this is one of their buttons you would expect them to be RZM-marked. I'll try to date the regulation I've been referencing because if it is later than 1935 that will allow us to say with a high level of certainty that this button can't have anything to do with the HJ.

[HIDE=6,29,7]

[/HIDE]

Attachments

Hi,
here are 2 better photographs, first one to best see the difference in colour btw a normal one and the other.
Garry, have you had the time to check?
Best

Attachments

Thanks for the good pics C. The pebbling seems fine on the 29 button. Still looking for a date for the regulation.

Hi,
I have just seen a thread made by a collector who owned a golden button with number 12.
He said that it was worn by people with rank from "Generalmajor".
For you could it be possible?
How many ranks are there from generalmajor?

I dont believe higher level Hitlerjugend Officers (Unterbannfuhrer on up) would have worn a number on their shoulderstraps .

As for the button numbered 29 , I dont see an Rzm mark on the underside .
This button may be Weimar or even 1900 to 1919 German Army .

I dont believe higher level Hitlerjugend Officers (Unterbannfuhrer on up) would have worn a number on their shoulderstraps .

As for the button numbered 29 , I dont see an Rzm mark on the underside .
This button may be Weimar or even 1900 to 1919 German Army .

Indeed, I don't think they were worn in the HJ but in the WH heer as there is no RZM.
The wearing of these types of buttons began in 1933 to late 1939. So I don't think I could have been worn btw 1900 to 1919...?
Moreover I don't think the maker CTD existed in 1900?
Anyway, I have never seen them on officer's uniforms in the WH too.

Feel free to share your point of view,
Christophorus

Is the #29 button gold plated or brass ?
If it is brass , it could have had fieldgray paint on it at one time but later removed.

Back