HJ Oberbannführer Shoulder boards with gold piping.

Pimpf359

Thanks Received
Hello,
I should ask from a Kolegen whether Shoulder boards are good ?
Unfortunately, I do not have better pictures.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hj shoulder boards

Hello Steve,
here are pictures of my board.

The boards look not bad but you need better pictures !!
They look like upgraded Oberbannführer-boards.
Are you sure that the colour is gold ?

Attachments

I think Darin ( HJ Forum Moderater) might be able to help you with this one . From memory I think the double oakleafs in gold would designate an Oberbannführer acting as Gebietsführer ...They look good . look at my Avatar .

Yes, Obannführer serving as a Gebietsführer. They appear to stand a good chance but would like to see better clear photos to make a definite opinion of this set.

Edit, here is a set from my collection but in Celleon, not wire embroidery.

Attachments

Thank you for your opinion. I&'m trying to get something better pictures.

Here are better pictures.

Attachments

Just a quick general observation on the Oberbannführer in gold:

RJF Verordnungsblatt IV/27 6.11.1936 (the order that initially introduced the new pattern higher leader boards on black material) says the following:

Shoulder boards that were previously on a white or red base material are to be replaced in their entirety by smaller and narrower boards on a black base material. The rank insignia (oak leaves) will remain but will also be slightly reduced in size.

The shoulder boards of RJF Amtsleiter
(RJF Chief Officers) and of the Gebietsführer (district leaders) will have gold stitching and a gold edging cord.

Theoretically then, an Oberbannführer (or Hauptbannführer) who was appointed to the position of RJF Amtsleiter would also wear boards with gold stitching.

A fantastic looking set. Piping appears to be Celleon in the photos. I would be very pleased to have this set in my collection. If the price is more than you wish to pay, I am sure other members here would appreciate information on who is selling the set.

Thank you Garry for the additional documentation regarding the gold coloring also.

Hello, I would also have liked but unfortunately it is not my Shoulder boards.
I have only asked for a HJ collectors.

Hello, the owners of these Shoulder Straps has sold me and I'm really happy to have this beautiful Boards in my collection.
Here are a few pictures.
Best Regards
Steve

Attachments

100% good boards Steve. A fantastic pair. The piping appears to be celleon? You are fortunate to have obtained these straps! Wonderful!

Hi Darin,
I am not familiar with the word "celleon", can you explain the material you think this is made of any further?
Thank you.

Christian, it is a synthetic material that was used on some insignia during the period. I suspect the piping of this set to be Celleon as it is not tarnished like the wire oak leaves. I have a set of these straps that is all celleon embroidery in my collection.

In The Military Advisor, volume #3, number #4, Bender publications. Article by J. Pittsenbargar ;

"Many synthetic fibers came into use before WW II. By 1927 Rayon had been developed in Germany and was in use in Europe and the United States. This was later folllowed by Dacron and Orlon. In 1936 Nylon was developed by DuPont in the U.S. and in germany where one brand name was Cellulon (celleon). Many fine wartime army general grade collar tabs, shoulder boards and breast eagles were made from this synthetic material as a replacement for gilt wire which quickly tarnished. In 1956-57 polyesters were introduced to the domestic marketplace."

This is from Angolia's book on Kriegsmarine uniforms where he cites HV 38B No. 258 (interesting as Angolia rarely cites a source, regulation, or order in his works).

"To "eliminate the need of gold, to reduce purchase costs, and to increase the wearing periods," gold was substituted by a newly-developed material "Celleon" by an order (HV 38B, No. 258) dated 15 July, 1938. Celleon web, celleon lace and cord, etc., was made of a silver-plated web on a golden-yellow or white artificial silk base with a golden-colored textile-cellophane spinning. Bright Celleon had a base of silver-plated web, and matte Celleon had a white silk base."

Also here is a period advertisement where the term is used.

Attachments

I can only say that it is not a metal thread. I think it will be cellon.

Thank you Darin.
I am familiar with Celluloid, Cellon (Zellon) and Cellophan and some others.
The words Cellulon (celleon) which Mr. Angolia is using, seem to be only used in his book.
I can not find these words anywhere in my (pre 1945) publications.
Thank you for explaining the diffrence of wire and cellon, I do understand a bit better now.
Still I would need both boards in hand to fully understand and recognize the difference in future.

Absolutely beautiful pair of shoulderboards , I can only wish that I may find a nice pair like these someday .

Back