Landjahr or Bann Munchen Oberbann 3??

Thanks Received
I have been told by Clyde Davis that this strap is not Landjahr, but an early Bann Munich Oberbann 3 after he viewed this photo. He has quite an advanced collection and he's been collecting and reseraching HJ for decades so I do respect his opinion.

I've seen early photos identified as Landjahr with straps similar to this one. Saris states in his book that some hand embroidered Landjahr straps were used and shows a photo he identifies as Landjahr member with a strap similar but not exactly like this one. He also states that the green lettered and piped Oberbann 3 straps for Bann Munchen were discontinued in 1934 due to confusion with the Landjahr. The book does not show this strap in photos or an illustration.

So what are the opinions of members here regarding this strap. Either one is desirable to me and I'm happy to have it in my collection. I'd just like a more positive ID on this one.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Well , now that I know that Daren ..... I could kick myself for selling it to you . Great strap !

Nothing better than a picture !

Hello,

Here you have the answer.

Best regards

Attachments

This post was originally a lot longer but Debertex's excellent picture enabled me to shorten it :) As he says, nothing better than a picture.

I have some info on the organisation which might be of additional use Darin. As at the 1st of Jan 1934 Oberbann 3 München was administered from Kaulbachstrasse 11/1 in München under Oberbannführer Hans Helmuth. The Oberbann consisted of:

Bann L München Mitte-Süd
Bann B36 München-West
Bann B37 München-Nord
Bann B38 München-Ost

Bann L München Mitte-Süd had its Bann office in Dänkhelstrasse 43 in München and was under the command of Unterbannführer Willibald Fahrmeyer

Jungbann L München Mitte-Süd was under the command of Stammführer Fritz Steves and had its office in Augustenstrasse 19, München.

BDM-Untergau München Mitte-Süd: Baumstrasse 21, Untergauführerin Johanna Brandner

Jungmädeluntergau München Mitte-Süd: Steinstrasse 46, Jungmädelringführerin Finny Poslusny

The units below Bann level are the most difficult to establish and list as you know which is why I started the project in my signature but hopefully we'll get Gefolgschaft etc numbers/locations for Bann L in time. I have a lot of documents on my hard drive but none for that Bann and year unfortunately.

It seems odd that there was ever any confusion about these straps back then when you think that the Oberbann and the colour system were in place in July 1933 - almost 10 months before the Landjahr law of the 29th of March 1934. Surely someone on the RJF staff must have noticed the potential for confusion between Oberbann 3 Bann L straps and Landjahr? :)

Wasn't Clyde going to join us at some point?

Thanks for the photo Debertex and for the additional information Garry. The photo is great but the strap still looks a little different to me than the one in the photo. As for Clyde, he's not online and does not care for computers. All my corespondence with him is via snail mail. I'm going to send him a copy of the photo and see what he says after seeing the photo.

Last edited:
Here is what looks like, for comparison, the L of the SA-Leibstandarte (München). This unit was the godfather of Bann L (München).

You can see that Bann L used the same font as the SA-Leibstandarte.

Attachments

Last edited:
differences at the L

Gents,

I'm no strap expert at all and I certainly don't want to come to any conclusion to what is what. However, I noticed a main difference in the way they wrote the capital L at the Landjahr strap (and the superb photo) the 'begin' of the upper part is on the left side of the vertical 'stem', then crossing the stem and leading upwards into the loop before it goes down to the base of the L. The Bann Muenchen Mitte-Sued 'L' is different in this aspect: it starts at the right side of the vertical stem goes up into the curve and then down towards the base. It never crosses the stem. The SA L seems to have the very same feature.
I hope my basic observation helps to bring somebody to a final conclusion.

Usually Clyde is very very rarely wrong but I think in this issue even the veteran might learn something new.

Rgds

Daniel

Last edited:
Here is another I just purchased. This one looks very much like the one shown on the uniform in the photo posted in this thread.

Attachments

landjahr or not still a fine strap must be a end of landjahr season i just got this pair

Attachments

yes darin but only brought the straps i already had the triangle and to be honest im thinking of selling my triangles now

steve

To te honest want to swop for boards more than cash but will let you know

Back