Missing "pips" on period photograph .

Joe B

Banned
Thanks Received
I found this picture on ebay , It is a common photo of an HJ boy with his parents. I have cropped the photo to show detail .
Apon close examination I noticed that his pips on his straps had been removed , I am thinking that this boy is using a recycled pair of straps from another boy or had been demoted. Hard to believe that a Gefolgschaftfuhrer had been demoted that much . Also his cap piping seems to be white .
Anyway , this photo is proof that pips were pulled out during the period and shoulderstraps were used again .

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Original photo.

Attachments

I think there are a recycled shoulder boards.
When I was on army my parade uniform was from my father who was lieutenant (so the uniform was so much more quality than the regular troopers) and I just taken off the graduation insignia from shoulder boards and added the correct one to my graduation.

Here is a theory on these, what I see is added tape around the outer edges which in the regular world would denote a SERGEANT RANK. So is this very late last ditch and he was a flak helper with sgt rank ? :canada1

Hi Paul
I dont see anything that dictates the boy as being a flakhelper . He is wearing a non regulation nonpleated pocket blouse though.

One more thing ...if you enlarge the first photo to 400% , it really looks like the shoulderstrap has metal number cyphers .

I dont think the boy is volkstrum either , If you look at his Fathers uniform ... he is wearing a Model 36 Heer tunic with dark green collar , his shoulderstraps are field gray with slipon cyphers , his overseas caphas a bevo cockade on field gray backing and his capeagle looks to be of the M40 style . If you go by what the Father is wearing to date the photo , I would guess 1940 to 1942

Last edited:
Back