My Grandfather Lothar E. Brenner wearing Bann 230 HJ shoulder straps

Thanks Received
Here is a picture of my Grandfather, Lothar E. Brenner, wearing "230" marked shoulder boards. I believe this indicates the Düsseldorf Bann as he lived on the outskirts of the city in Unterbach.

I've been desperately trying to find a pair of these boards since my Grandfather's originals were lost. Please, If you have a pair or know someone with a pair, let me know.

Admin edit: external link auto-moderated.

Hi Tyler, links to external pics are not allowed on this forum because if the external host deletes or moves the picture at some point it will negatively affect the integrity of this thread. Please upload using the attachment button. Thanks.

230 is indeed one of the Bann numbers within Gebiet Düsseldorf Tyler (prior to 1938 this Gebiet was called Gebiet Ruhr-Niederrhein). Looking forward to seeing the photo.

Sorry, I'm used to using *********** to bring images in. Anyways, here is the pic. I wish I had more pics of him during the war, but they were lost when he moved to the US. After the youth I believe he was stationed in Venlo, Netherlands to train and fly the ME163, but since he died when I was very young, I never got the chance to talk to him about it.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments.
Hey, no probs and thanks for showing the pic of your grandfather :thumb:

Could also be light blue for fleiger ?

GREAT more details coming out , any more family pics ?

:canada1

I'll have to search for some. I do remember a picture of him when he was very young (maybe 5 or 6) as a youth member. I'll have to try to find it. I'm trying to figure out more on his involvement in the youth and in the war, but I feel a lot of this information still resides in Germany with Family we lost touch with.

I do know he was 18 at the war's end and heard rumors of him traveling abroad to train and fly the Messerschmitt 163. He didn't talk much about the war to anyone, and he died when I was 2 so I do not know much more about this. Does anyone know what kind of program he could have been involved in at the end of the war? Once you reach 16 or 17 in the youth, would they automatically integrate you into the Wehrmacht?

THERE is a good chance your suspicions are correct. If he was involved in early flying he may well have been a teenage pilot at wars end. I have a report from a local veteran here who was at a foreward airfield in Germany 1945 which was attacked by several ME 109s . After the armistice several young boys arrived at the field to inquire about the results of their raid and he related all boys where under 18 years of age. If you wish to find family members in Germany try facebook and key in the family name then contact anyone who comes up and see what happens. Good luck

THERE is a good chance your suspicions are correct. If he was involved in early flying he may well have been a teenage pilot at wars end. I have a report from a local veteran here who was at a foreward airfield in Germany 1945 which was attacked by several ME 109s . After the armistice several young boys arrived at the field to inquire about the results of their raid and he related all boys where under 18 years of age. If you wish to find family members in Germany try facebook and key in the family name then contact anyone who comes up and see what happens. Good luck

Correction... He was born May 5th 1929, celebrating his 16th birthday 3 days before V-E day. Is there any way of finding information on what the Flieger branch of Bann 230 was doing right up to the end of the war?

Back