Opinions on these boards

Thanks Received
The blue piped 75 boards are a mystery to me, they are HJ sized boards, diff fabric than usually seen. the numbers are chainstitched. I put the 306 board beside them for size comparison. While we are at it, what is the red tress on the 306 board? any thoughts? original ? value? Thinking of selling some boards possibly.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Your shoulder straps seem good.
Regards Dan

Vos pattes d'épaules me semblent bonnes.

Cordialement Dan

The red strip could be an alternative 'Kriegsfreiwilliger' (war volunteer) insignia. These were usually red cord but it is known that a flat band like yours was sometimes worn instead.

The 75 straps look a little like those worn by the HJ-Luftwaffenhelfer don't they. It would have been very unusual for them to have a Bann number on them though. Hopefully Darin or Steve will see this thread and will add to the comments so far.

unusual blue piped shoulderboards

Well, the LW Helfer is a thought. Not being an expert, but i.m.o. the LW Helfer, being a "special purpose" 1943 onwards, should not have chain stitched boards as it was common with the pre-38 patterns. He should have woven ones of the 1938 pattern. Further they should be light blue piped.

Just comments, please don't put any weight in it.

Rgds

Daniel

IMO it is possible these are Flakhelfer. I've posted a picture of a Flakhelfer strap from my collection with a hand chain stitched number on it. Flakhelfer straps were not numbered, but I believe it was occasionally done on an unofficial basis. All numbered Flakhelfer straps I have personally seen have hand chain stitched numbers on them. I don't know if the numbers were to represent the HJ Bann the boys were affiliated with, or the Luftwaffe unit they were serving under. The latter is possible IMO, as the boys probably would have felt they were members of the armed forces. Perhaps one day a Flakhelfer veteran will provide more information on this practice and remove all speculation.

Attachments

Mine look closer to yours , being a diff fabric than the standard silky HJ boards.

imo these boards are good and period, remember the chain stitching was used until wars end as seen with the slip on unit number tabs issued late when units where decimated and reformed until new numbers

:canada1

Back