Pair shoulder straps 261 4 tan and black

Thanks Received
I just picked up a pair of shoulder boards for what my reference list as Bocholt-Haltern and I do not know what district the Roman numeral 4 is for. The pair are tan cotton with a black border and numbers. The pair appear to be un-issued. I would appreciate your help on them.
Regards

Jim

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

very nice set black is the one colour im missing in my collection well done and the black is for the oberbann and the IV is the unterbann

As Steve says, the colour black denotes Oberbann 5 and the numerals denote the Unterbann number. Bann 261 was known as Bocholt-Haltern for a short period at the end of 1933 but the name was changed at the beginning of 1934.

I'm no expert on shoulder strap and boards but I noticed that the holes for the buttons are not keyhole-shaped (German: Augenknopfloch) as specified by the RZM in 1936. Is that a worry for you guys?

The most common buttonhole is the keyhole style, but I have several straps with a slit type button hole like these. I think it's a minor manufacturing variance Garry. These straps pre date the 1936 regulations I think. I've added a photo of a strap with similar buttonholes from my collection for comparison.

Attachments

Last edited:
There's something about unused early straps that sends me into auto-sceptic mode Darin :001_tongue: You're right though of course. The early straps are not the best examples to use but how about the post-38 straps which pop up without the keyhole buttonholes? I've always wondered about them.

Here's some shots of a later set Garry. The contrast in the first photo is a little dark so I've included a "negative" type shot so the buttonholes can be seen clearly. I think there were some violations of the regulations that occured once in a while. This set was made by Hersteller number 859, Rudolf Langner of Weipert. He was granted his RZM permit on February 11th 1939 according to the Saris reference, a little later on than most. I don't know if the regulations possibly changed much later in the war as this is one of the later Banns. One thing to note, many HJ straps I've seen that I felt were fakes don't seem to have the keyhole buttonhole but the straight pattern like this set.

Attachments

Back