Bann 250 Standard bearer insignia miracle story

Thanks Received
Guys,

Here's a true story for you.
The story spans 15 years and is about one piece of cloth.
Enjoy.

I sold this bannfahne standart bearer's insig [see photo below] back in 93 when I sold my first hj collection.
Over the years, I would think, "Man I wish I hadn't sold this [or that] piece."
You know the typical 20/20 hindsight comments.

I sold it for about $400USD back then. At that time I had only seen two for sale, and I had them both. $400USD was a lot in 1993 for youth insig.
I think the USD was actually still worth something then. :crying:

OK fast forward to 2008, someone was running a rather large pile of hj cloth through Manion's. I was looking and going "Ooh, that was mine, and that one was mine, etc..."

So I told my wife, "Prepare yourself, and I apologize in advance, but most likely I am going to be spending $xxxxUSD over the next week or so." I told her this is a lot of my old stuff, "and I NEED the psychological closure." As usual she shook her head horizontally and walked away - I assumed she said ok. :D

So I find a piece of insig. It's described as "Reproduction BDM Rank insignia". I looked at the photo and said "No way - impossible". I dug out my old collection photos and there it was; this was was the same bann 250 insig I owned 15 years earlier.

I thought to myself, "Hmm, I know it's good, I sold it as good, 15 years later it's misdescribed as a reproduction of something that it does not resemble". OK, whatever.

The starting bid was $20USD. I knew it was going to be a last minute 10 minute by 10 minute bidding extension frenzy (Manion rules to prevent sniping). But I was on a mission, so I was ready for it because I thought, ok, I'm not the only one on the planet who knows what this is, and I can play hardball with the best of them. I was prepared to bite down hard and get it.

The auction end approached, with no activity. I waited and I waited.....
In true Manions form I didn't bid until 15 minutes before close. I put in a steep bid. The clock ticked, and 2030 CST hours came and went, with no other bids placed.

I sat in my chair in disbelief. There were a total of two bids and I bought it for $21USD + their commission. :w00t:

Then I thought, Oh no - someone at Manion's is going to figure this out, I'll get a phone call, and the seller will somehow retain the piece. It wouldn't be over until I had it in my hand.

I eventually received the FedEx with this and all of the other stuff from that week.

Yes Manion's definately sells a lot of fake things as real, but they also sell real things as fakes.

Collecting Miracles do happen even in the 21st Century. :cool:

kevin

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Nice story, I would like to see the sellers face if he ever realised his mistake :001_smile:

Nick

I have bought several items that were listed as fake from Manions , that are REAL pre 1945 manfactured .

Good job kamerade .

Back