Deutsches Jungvolk musicians swallows' nests - Big Doubt! I need quick help!

Thanks Received
Its a big doubt I just have and I need (for restoration) a quick help.
Dj weared musicians swallow-nest?

Please I need quick help, this evening I go to tailor!

The Musikzug (MZ) and the Spielmannszug (SZ) were HJ units and wore swallows' nests (Schwalbennest). The Fanfarenzug was a DJ music unit and there is no mention in the below reference that they were wearing them at that point (see the edit below the picture!)

Sources: Aufbau und Gliederung der Spieleinheiten der Hitler-Jugend and Der Dienst in den Musikeinheiten der Hitler-Jugend 1941

However, here's an early pic:

You don't have permission to view attachments.

EDIT: The DJ wore the swallow's nest until 1936. An order dated the 2nd of May 1935 specifies that the DJ-Fanfarenzug were to wear the standard HJ swallow's nest but this was rescinded by a further order dated the 19th of June 1936 which stated that the DJ were no longer permitted to wear them. So, the answer is: yes, the Schwalbennest was worn by the DJ FZ but only until 1936.

Attachments

I strongly suspect that those are early non-standard items and therefore not representative of a standard uniform. I amended my first post actually as I found a pic on my hard drive. I might have some more and I'll add if I find any.

I've attached an excerpt from the regulation. It's pic 1 and the relevant section is at the bottom. It says 'Hitler-Jugend' which could either mean just the HJ or alternatively HJ and DJ. However, the FZ is mentioned so I guess we could interpret the regulation such that the DJ FZ were included. I don't know but that could be confirmed by a late picture of the DJ wearing them.

Anyway, here are some more pics:

Regulation excerpt, early no swallows nests, early with, later without:

Attachments

I think they are non standard also. There are some pictures in Angolias HJ that show these Sigrune swallows nests in wear also.

I sold my Angolia and the Baker books in a moment of stupidity. Wish I still had them sometimes. Could you scan that pic please Darin? I could split this off to a second thread purely for pics of the DJ wearing swallows nests.

Thank you for the help. I was obsessed whit the size of the shirt, what I believed was so little and would not fit for HJ,
Now I put it on mannequin and my surprise is its bigger for it and my mannequin is like 10-12 yo.
I can restore it then as HJ shirt and no need to be DJ.
I am happy!

Anyway I was looking today at books and in period ilustrations I did not see DJ wearing swallow-nest thats the why of my doubt.

Safe to say I think that putting a Schwalbennest on a DJ uniform is okay :)

Attachments

I sold my Angolia and the Baker books in a moment of stupidity. Wish I still had them sometimes. Could you scan that pic please Darin? I could split this off to a second thread purely for pics of the DJ wearing swallows nests.

Sure thing Garry. I need to install my new scanner that the GF got me for Christmas and then I'll put some scans up.

Kempig just sold a grouping that included two sets of swallows nests, a hat and a couple of photos for 110 Euro. One of the sets was questionable (I think they are Luftwaffe or something) and the hat did not have great photos of it, but given the price the grouping was well worth the money IMO. Here's a photo.

Attachments

Last edited:
It's not like we need it but hey :) Here's a scan of a 1941 regulation which states that all formations wore the Schwalbennest (last sentence):

Attachments

I'd forgotten about scanning the photos, here's three that I was able to find in Angolias HJ.

Attachments

Those in the first pic look great don't they. I think I uploaded a pic a long time ago showing a HJ boy wearing similar items with the HJ HK where that boy has the rune. Let me see if I can find it...

Edit: found it

Attachments

Sure thing Garry. I need to install my new scanner that the GF got me for Christmas and then I'll put some scans up.

Kempig just sold a grouping that included two sets of swallows nests, a hat and a couple of photos for 110 Euro. One of the sets was questionable (I think they are Luftwaffe or something) and the hat did not have great photos of it, but given the price the grouping was well worth the money IMO. Here's a photo.

I take this set.

Those in the first pic look great don't they. I think I uploaded a pic a long time ago showing a HJ boy wearing similar items with the HJ HK where that boy has the rune. Let me see if I can find it...

Edit: found it

Another swallows nest with the HK.

Attachments

The Musikzug (MZ) and the Spielmannszug SZ were HJ units and wore swallows' nests (Schwalbennest). The Fanfarenzug was a DJ music unit and there is no mention in the references I quote below that they wore them.

Sources: Aufbau und Gliederung der Spieleinheiten der Hitler-Jugend and Der Dienst in den Musikeinheiten der Hitler-Jugend 1941

However, here's an early pic:

EDIT: The DJ wore the swallow's nest until 1936. An order dated the 2nd of May 1935 specifies that the DJ-Fanfarenzug were to wear the standard HJ swallow's nest but this was rescinded by a further order dated the 19th of June 1936 which stated that the DJ were no longer permitted to wear them. So, the answer is: yes, the Schwalbennest was worn by the DJ FZ but only until 1936.

little un on the right sems to have polished political buttons on his shirt :) did you colour it Garry?

Back