HJ Bann standard bearer Qualifications ???

Joe B

Banned
Thanks Received
Does anyone know what it would of taken to be nominated to became the Bann flag bearer of a HJ Bann .

Would the youth have to obtain a certain rank ?

Would it be given to the youth who had collected the most donations within the year ?

Or the best Athelete ?

I just want to know what it would have taken to be given this honorary status and what rank the boy would have had ?

Last edited:
Is anybody out there in cyberspace ???

Yeah we are here Joe. It's a great question but I don't have the answer. Maybe Garry has something on this in his library of period stuff. I'd like to know also.

I wrote something on this on the forum a while back but can't find it. A regulation was issued in February 1939 which gave the selection requirements for the females who carried the BDM-Untergau and JM-Untergau Wimpel.

1. Minimum age: 15
2. Minimum period of service: 3 years
3. Minimum height: 1.68 cm, racially pure appearance
4. Rank: must be suitable for promotion to at least Mädelscharführerin/JM-Scharführerin.

The girls carried a special permit with photograph

The regulation doesn't mention the requirements for the Bann/Jungbann standard bearers specifically but I imagine that the above preconditions were essentially the same and were adjusted for the boys. The HJ version probably read like this:

1. Minimum age: 15
2. Minimum period of service: 3 years
3. Minimum height: 1.75 cm, racially pure appearance
4. Rank: must be suitable for promotion to at least Scharführer

I'll keep looking for more info on this though as I'm sure there were more criteria than those listed for the girls.

The attachment proves that a low rank could become the Bann standard bearer and would support point 4 for the girls in that this boy would have to have the potential to reach higher rank in time.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments.
Thank you so much Garry .

It is knowledge like this , that makes this such a great forum .

An amazing photo, what is the badge on his left pocket next to the sports badge and above the Glider badge?

Hi nick
thats the Adolf Hitler march of the HJ on the occasion of the national party days of 1938, when the Hj marched for weeks from all over germany to the nuremberg rallies,

( source Angolia vol 2 page 210)

cheers steve

Found some more on this Joe. The lowest permissible rank for the HJ Bann standard bearers was Scharführer with the highest permissible rank being Hauptgefolgschaftsführer.

This September 1941 regulation governs the rank ranges for a variety of appointments including the standard bearers and doesn't explicitly state the rank range for the DJ Jungbann standard bearers. However, the very first rank range in the list has the comment 'and equivalent in the DJ' next to it so if we take that to mean that this is to be applied to all rank ranges then this would mean the following for the DJ: lowest permissible rank Oberjungzugführer - highest permissible rank Hauptfähnleinführer.

The 1939 regulation I quoted above states that a prerequisite for selection as a Bann standard bearer was suitability for promotion to Scharführer so I think we can be pretty sure that the rank ranges mentioned in the 1941 regulation were the same when the standard bearer patches were introduced in 1938 with the exception that the DJ rank range in 1938 would have equated to: lowest rank Jungzugführer, highest rank Hauptfähnleinführer.

Back