HJ/DJ swallows nests (Schwalbennester)

Thanks Received
hello guys, a couple of weeks ago i got sent these pictures and i dismissed them straight away as they looked white on the rear, and then there is the 1942 stamping i was thinking humped up, now i seen them in hand yesterday and they are indeed brown! one is slightly lighter colour than the other!

the hooks looked good and had a good feel, the owners pictures have to much sunlight in them here is the problem imo

they match a couple of sets in this link below?

http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f10/these-swallows-nests-hj-1814/

any comments atall is appreciated !

:thumb::thumb:

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

i forgot my camera yesterday, not a good move, here is some cropped pictures!

Attachments

HJ swallow nests

Hello Ewan,
I don´t think that this borads are from the HJ, the backside should always be brown.
Here is a picture of my early swallow nests from a "Spielmannszugführer".
Best Regards
Alois

Attachments

Hello Alois, those are nice ones! the colour is off in my above photos, they look gray but they are not like that however its not dark brownshirt brown like the ones owned by you Eric and Darin !

they all match in pattern from the front thats for sure (except Erics examples), did the same ones being used by other organisations?

thanks for the reply !

HJ swallow nests

Hello Ewan,
here are two pictures from the book "Bekleidung und Ausrüstung der HJ" from 1934.
Here you can see the dimensions of such nests, "Futter" is brown khaki-cloth.
I also post her 2 pictures from the "Herstellungsvorschriften für parteiamtliche Bekleidungsstücke" from 1936, here is the backside "Futter" "brown HJ-Hemdköper" indanthrenfärbung.

[HIDE=6,29,7]
[/HIDE]

Best Regards
Alois

Attachments

The photos look a little washed out but the backing color does appear to be a faded brown. The 1942 stamp is a little odd as I've not seen that particular stamp on a set of these before. The set stands a chance IMO, but would need better lit photos to say for sure if I think they are good.

The photos look a little washed out but the backing color does appear to be a faded brown. The 1942 stamp is a little odd as I've not seen that particular stamp on a set of these before. The set stands a chance IMO, but would need better lit photos to say for sure if I think they are good.

Darin, you have hit the nail on the head they are not white or gray the are a light brown, the seller says he would get me better photos as i forgot my camera, in hand they are brown but not deep a deep brownshirt brown, the backing looks good material as does the fronts, but its in cotton i have seen Eric post here at the forum these should be woollen?

here is an Ausweis from a pretty good document group, it shows a variant nest , from the period of around 1934, not alot of red on show !

be good to find more info on these items as they must be period as they match yours and steves here going on the fronts alone, i have also observed most have a machine stitch along the bottoms of the rear but the half circle is hand stitched, i suspect this is because of the hooks!

thank for the comment ! :thumb:

Attachments

Hello Ewan,
I don´t think that this borads are from the HJ, the backside should always be brown.
Here is a picture of my early swallow nests from a "Spielmannszugführer".
Best Regards
Alois

Hello Alois, is the Red part on yours cotton or woolen?

here is another two new pictures that seem to be in the same spot :confused1: i am just going to leave these items!

best regards,

Ewan

Attachments

HJ swallow nests

Hello Ewan,
hard to say, if woolen or cotton, I would say on german "Filz" in english felt,
but here is a picture.

I also would not buy this swallow nests with stamps.

Best Regards
Alois

Attachments

Hello Ewan,

Alois and Darin are right. These HJ swallow nests are fakes !!!!!.Mine are woolen with a velvet finish and they comes from Strasbourg (France).
They are photographed in the Angolia's book, vol. 2, page 262. These HJ swallow nests must be in brown on the back side !.

Best regards

Eric

Attachments

Alois, thats what i was looking for ! thanks

and thanks to you also Eric it would seem these cotton fakes have original white strps to the front? as the pattern on the whites match others here shown by Alois, Darin, Steve , i speak only of the white parts to the front !

Darin is yours cotton or felt/wool ?

seems a good call to leave these well alone...

Hello Ewan,

Alois and Darin are right. These HJ swallow nests are fakes !!!!!.Mine are woolen with a velvet finish and they comes from Strasbourg (France).
They are photographed in the Angolia's book, vol. 2, page 262. These HJ swallow nests must be in brown on the back side !.

Best regards

Eric

those are excellent Eric ! i still seek vol 2 of Angolias HJ book where these pieces are published ! :sad:

the market of militaria is flooded with fakes from the 80s, many come from the former Czechoslovakia.

are the ones on collectors guild bad due to the "wrong" backside colour?

Hi,

Well, it's not "wrong" but rather: wrong. As mentioned by Alois in post #5, according to the 1934 regulation the colour of the material on the obverse of the HJ/DJ "Schwalbennest"' is khaki-brown. In 1936 this is further defined as being the same colour (and made of the same material) as the standard HJ shirt. I see no changes to the 1936 regulation in any subsequent regulations.

The appearance of the swallows' nests on the CG site is clearly not a match for the regulation item and this "fading" of the cloth backing from brown to almost white (without a corresponding level of wear to the obverse of the item) will have to be satisfactorily explained because most HJ collectors will expect to see brown HJ shirt material on these.

The stamping of the items with "1942" will also require explanation because logically, there is no reason why that would have been necessary.

As Ewan says, variations are possible from the early period but if I were buying a set of these I would be looking for a more regulation item and would not be expecting to pay the same price for a variation (if that is indeed what the CG set is).

Hey,

I am looking for swallow nests too.
I saw these:

The posts above suggest these would be fake!
But it is a well known dealer.

Your opinions?

Thanks!

Attachments

The posts above suggest these would be fake!
But it is a well known dealer.

Hi,

That isn't the suggestion. What is being pointed out is that they aren't regulation items. They may well be authentic but they differ from the standard item shown in the period literature. It is worth pointing that out because items like this will often attract questions that the owner may not be able to answer.

PS: when you link to an item please copy the pictures and upload them to the forum. When external pictures are deleted, any thread that relies on them is effectively destroyed because no one will be able to see the item under discussion.

Thanks.

Because the foto's where visible, I thought that they where "saved".
In the future I will use my **********!

Back