Insignia of the AHS teachers

This patch has now shown up on Jeff Clark's site Uniforms of the NSDAP

The listed ;rice is $2495 and it is described as it is in the Angolia book as an AHS Flag Bearer Patch. It is hand embroidered. Matches the photograph pretty well. Here are photos from Uniforms of the NSDAP web site where the patch is currently on offer as of this morning. I speculate this patch may vanish into a private collection here in the US that is never shown online.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

In post 21 from late 2011, I said Kürbelstickerei, but it apparently is Kettenstich!
For this they had special machines available.

The patch and photograph are shown in my gorget-book, published in 2012 in
Germany on page 224. There I told it is NOT a flag bearer's patch.
The photo from the guy, wearing the patch, I credited as Jeff Hammond.

I agree Wim regarding the function of the patch. I was only posting the descriptor from the site as "Flag Bearer". Still a rare patch IMO and not often seen at all. We all know that Angolia was incorrect many times in his descriptions and relied on sources for information that did not have all the facts when he wrote his books.

Yes, a true fact about Angolia.
The purpose for this extremely rare patch is not even exactly known, and so I doubt the word "teacher".
I think that boys from a AHS-choir did wear this type of patch. See coming photo from a boy from the
Wiener Sängerknaben.

The asking price for the patch I think is quite ridiculous. I hope it lands in a good collection, but for a reduced price!

I found another photo in my files about the Austrian Wiener Sängerknaben.

Would any of you collectors buy such a tunic/tail coat, when not having seen these photos?
I don't think so!

Attachments

Last edited:
The asking price for the patch I think is quite ridiculous. I hope it lands in a good collection, but for a reduced price!

Yes, I like this patch (AHS) but as you stated Wim, way to heavily priced certainly for my wallet.
As I see it, something is only worth that amount if someone is willing to pay such an amount. If prizes have gone up overtime, it is because we, the collectorssociety have in the past lett us carry away, performed by occasion such a purchase.
I am also to blame, when one comes across an item wich fits very well into your collection, it is sometimes hard to turn away, just because it is overprized, and as a result we get caught in this evolution of ridiculous high prized articles now these days.
Mike
:belgium

Yes, I like this patch (AHS) but as you stated Wim, way to heavily priced certainly for my wallet.
As I see it, something is only worth that amount if someone is willing to pay such an amount. If prizes have gone up overtime, it is because we, the collectorssociety have in the past lett us carry away, performed by occasion such a purchase.
I am also to blame, when one comes across an item wich fits very well into your collection, it is sometimes hard to turn away, just because it is overprized, and as a result we get caught in this evolution of ridiculous high prized articles now these days.
Mike
Hello Mike

You perfectly summarized the situation and I could not say better ! :001_cool:

Supply and demand...

Hello,

What's going on here ? That's the second time I read that a price is ridiculous ! We are talking about collection. That means : hobby (or/and investisement). We are not talking about food essential for survival.

In the register of the "superfluous", the things have only one price : the price we want to give them. What are $10000 if we are rich and what are $10000 if we are poor ? What is the "right price" of a Porsche, a trip to the Bahamas, the first Elvis Presley single ? Enter in a Porsche shop and tell the dealer: I do not like your price, it is ridiculous !!!... if stressed he could anwer : become adult, if not stressed he could answer : buy a little Volkswagen and you gonna drive the same way all over the world.

There are collectors of bottles of champagne corks ... who pay fortunes for some copies. A movie film director has sold its copyright to buy a white painting (with nothing on it!) only because it's "paint" by a celebrity (or because he needs glasses ?!). ect, ect.

We are collectors and if our collection becomes "high end", all the best... or the worse. Es la vida !

Best regards

Enter in a Porsche shop and tell the dealer: I do not like your price, it is ridiculous !!!... if stressed he could anwer : become adult, if not stressed he could answer : buy a little Volkswagen and you gonna drive the same way all over the world.
Debertex,
Nice metaphore,
that is why I turn my head away for this patch, cause I cannot afford it, despite the fact I like it very much. But I do not cry over it either or would even bother to try to get a reduction.
The value as I stated and you concurred this, in your reaction (#28) is very personal depending upon once wallet, if it fits your collection, and or,.. etc, etc,.....

The only thing I wanted to point out here is that; would this patch have come on the market 15 years ago, I wonder how much one would have paid for it........?

regards,
Mike

Back