definite keeper

Thanks Received
a very early corded one rarer than most me thinks

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

THANKS Darin it is such HIGH QUALITY do you have any further details on it

PAUL

It's difficult to nail down exactly the location for the pre 1934 period Sigrunes. Some were based on the Landesfarben and some on the SA Gau structure. There seems to be no real ryhme or reason and the regulations were vauge at best. This one is odd in that the piping colors don't match the rest of the Sigrune. Based on the blue background with a white Sigrune and black and white piping this would be my best guess Paul. It's possibly, and this is just my opinion, either from one of these two.

H.J. Gruppe/Gau Sud (Munchen) during the Gau structure peroid of 1931-1933. Possibly for Sud or Oberbayen, Niederbayen, Shwaben, or Oberfalz.

Or it may be the first form of Oberbann 4 from H.J. Gruppe/Gau Ostland due to the black and white piping which was the piping color for the Gau during the period of SA asignment.

There's very little information and regulations are almost non existant for these eary Sigrunes. Those are my best guesses Paul.

Similar. The cording generally matches the SA Gau in color on the very early shoulders, and the numerals are mostly black. This one is unique in that the cording is a different color than the rune itself. There are many period photos of this style Sigrune in wear, unfortunatley all I have seen are in black and white, not color so it's difficult to tell exactly what colors the Sigrunes are. I have been told there is very little information about the early sigrunes as practically nothing was mentioned in the verordnungsblatt or other period publications about them. It's my opinion that they should be considered a combination of colors as for the SA (the Landesfarben, as they also were named as such within the HJ) Some match the rosette's on Imperial helmets also. Due to the many changes in colors I believe they didn't know themselves anymore what was correct and for that reason they adopted the new standardised colors in late 1933. The well-known six colors. There is little information from the early thirities on insignia of the H.J. I've asked many who should know and nobody has given me a really definitive answer.

I've seen a similar Sigrune in a collection that has the same piping, with a blue background and yellow rune. I would personally doubt SS afiliation and believe SA, just my opinion.

Congratulations Paul, I never saw anything like that for Oberbann 4.

Thanks Darin too for providing us with more info and learn about it.

It is really difficult to concentrate only in Tinnies when I see this type of things.

Regards

Antonio

I've seen a similar Sigrune in a collection that has the same piping, with a blue background and yellow rune. I would personally doubt SS affiliation and believe SA, just my opinion.

Hi Gefolgschaft,
I think that the 'Sigrune' with the twisted cord matchs to the shoulder straps before 1933 or a short time later.
The 'Länder' had much more autonomy and could display proudly their regional colors.
It is always the case at the present time in Germany.
I think that the cording comes from Prussia but I am not certain about it.
Best regards
Eric

I agree Eric, black and white piping on the shoulder straps indicates Gruppe/Gau Ostland, in Ostprussen. Odd that the colors of the rune would indicate H.J. Gruppe/Gau Sud (Munchen) Sud or Oberbayen, Niederbayen, Shwaben, or Oberfalz.

This sigrune of mine has matching piping and colors to indicate Gruppe/Gau Nord Hannover Ost Sigrune (Yellow rune on black field).

I lean toward an early Oberbann 4 Sigrune used in Gruppe/Gau Ostland, during the transitional period of the introduction of the six known Oberbann colors but may be wrong. Whatever locale it comes from it is a nice one, I would be very pleased to have it in my collection. Well done Paul.

Attachments

Last edited:
Here's my take on these patches just to add to the pool of info.

There are three periods which I think affect the configuration of these pre-Oberbann DJ rune patches:

27th of March 1931 to 1st of May 1931
1st of May 1931 to May 1932
May 1932 to July 1933

The first period starts with the incorporation of the Deutsches Jungvolk into the Hitler Youth and ends with Hitler's decision to place the Hitler Youth under SA control.

The second period is the Hitler Youth under SA control.

The third period sees the Hitler Youth becoming a seperate organisation away from SA control and culminates in the major reorganisation of the structure.

I haven't seen any evidence that the Jungvolk wore rune patch insignia prior to becoming part of the Hitler Youth on 27/1/31 so these patches are more likely to be from after this date. The first period covers only 36 days anyway and as I'm unaware of any regulation stating that there was DJ shirt insignia from the beginning in March 1931 I'm left with the more likely scenario in period two with SA colours being used. From May 1931 new 'HJ-Gruppen' were formed to incorporate HJ formations into the SA and it seems logical to me that HJ and DJ units within a particular HJ-Gruppe would wear the same colours as their respective parent SA formations and that's how I see these patches.

The period covering the incorporation of the DJ into the HJ up to the major reorganisation and regulations on uniforms and insignia in 1933 was full of change including a change of leader from Gruber to von Renteln and ultimately of course to von Schirach. Hartmann Lauterbacher the then Gauführer of Braunschweig was charged with a major reorganisation of the HJ structure in the easter of 1932 and the new terms 'Gebiet', 'Bann' and 'Unterbann' were introduced during the period too so the whole thing was fluid which I think goes a long way to explain why it is so difficult to nail this one by relying on regulations.

There may well be an OSAF directive on this actually Paul. If you know any SA collectors it might be worth asking whether they have any documentation/regulations which mention the HJ/DJ insignia. I don't have anything like that myself unfortunately.

Back