Difference between Oberbann 6 and NPEA sigrune patches

Garry

Admin
Thanks Received
Guys, is there an obvious difference between the DJ rune patches for NPEA and Oberbann 6? They both have the same colour configuration (black rune on white circular field) but clearly an NPEA patch may be more desirable to someone who collects NPEA so how would he know what he had in his hand? The RZM label colour and designation could give a clue as to date but these aren't always found still attached so how do you differentiate between NPEA and Oberbann 6? Or is there no difference?

Hi Garry

I could be wrong , but I dont think there is a difference .

The Oberbann system was discontinued in April of 1936 , yet regulations introduced the white disc with the black sigrune for the NPEA on 30 April 1937.

Just my opinion .

Thanks Joe. Yes, that regulation from 1937 is what prompted me to ask actually. I was reading it and noticed that the word 'eingeführt' (introduced) wasn't used when the patch was mentioned. This then got me thinking that if it wasn't a new item which was introduced specifically for the NPEA that it could possibly an Oberbann 6 patch put to a new use. It would certainly make sense.

If you look at the period photos and all the reference books they look the same. I think some dealers list them as NPEA just to elavate the price. They are a little more scarce than some of the other runes, but still availible now and again. It took me almost a year to find a uniform removed example. The RZM tag should be a normal A4 designated RZM tag, but they are hard to come by with the tags still attached. There is a story in the pinned thread on the Sigrune subforum about a horde find and the seller made the guy that found them tear off all the RZMs due to the swastica on them. As for knowing if a patch was used by an NPEA member, tough to tell. Maybe if you bought a grouping or uniform with it included, but even groupings can be put together. I have a nice one that is.:)

Last edited:
Thanks Darin. Hopefully someone will read this thread before paying a dealer's humped-up price for a 'genuine NPEA DJ rune patch' when actually it may just be an Oberbann 6 patch. Okay, these aren't easy to find but it's clear that there should be no need for a price premium when the item can't be fully identified as NPEA.

Garry, heres what Paul said a dealer with a horde find of these said about the Oberbann 6 Sigrunes.

"Note: He always asked more for the black on white ones because they were NPEA (ohhh ahh caaching!), eventhough he told me they were found in about equal numbers.
Paul "

While the official regulation concerning the wear of this patch is noted in the "April 1937 regulations, this patch was in wear long before it became official. Each NPEA had students of the HJ age and a few of the school's had ONLY DJ age members. It is important to know which schools functioned in what capacity during their existance.
No other organiztion during the short 12 year existance had so many variations and changes.
Ron Weinand

HJ Influence on NPEA Uniforms

In my interview with a graduate of NPEA Spandau who finished in 1939 and started in 1931, he told me that as soon as Spandau became an NPEA affiliate, uniform transistion began. He was also adimate that the individual schools had their own colored piping to the shoulder straps and that white was for Spandau.
Also, the film we know that was titled "Unser Jungen" that features NPEA Schools was mainly shot at Spandau in the 1938 - 1939 period and he remembers the film crew working at the school even though may sources claim the film dates from the 1940s.
Therefore, everything we see or read in reference material is NOT totally correct.
By the way, these students were the cream of the crop of the youth of Germany during the period. Their memory is unusually good.

Last edited:
Thanks Ron. That supports the wording in the regulation perfectly.

Back