DJ Rune Patch with silver cord

JME

Thanks Received
DJ Rune Patch
DJ Rune Patch. Hope you like it. Why is this silver ring around it? Any and all comments are welcome. JME

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

I like this one , rare to find with the silver soutache surounding it .

Do you know the rank and the period when it was in use Joe? Can't find that one in any of my stuff here.

I dont know the regulation , but I believe that this was discussed in the old forum .
I believe that Daren may know more about this type of example as he has one .

If you look closely the rune appears to be Silver in color on an artillery red background with silver cording on the border which would indicate a Gebietsjungvolksfuhrer position. I've got a couple of these, one with a silver Sigrune and one with a white Sigrune that appears to have been 'converted' to this style with the addition of the cording. Compare this one side by side to an oberbann 1 Sigrune and the color difference of the rune will really stand out.

Some period illustrations and RZM specifications that explain the rank structure of Sigrunes.

Attachments

Ostensibly we're looking at a 1934 Gebietsjungvolkführer sleeve rune here, or 1936-38 Oberjungbannführer i.e. red with outer ring. As Darin points out though - there the similarity ends and my question with items like this is always 'would a higher leader have worn non-standard items'?

As we know, there are many, many photographs which show such items in wear or indeed which show standard items being worn incorrectly. I saw a photograph just yesterday where a Pimpf was wearing his sleeve rune 90 degrees out and I'm sure all of you have seen similar things in photographs. However, I still can't warm to the idea that a higher leader would wear something as non-standard as this. He/she had to be squeaky clean, had to be and set an example. Leaders at this level were in the employ of the RJF, they received a wage. Would a leader at such a high level have worn insignia like this?

We can't even offer the explanation that the war intervened - that there were material shortages etc because the war didn't start until after these patches were discontinued. If we offer the explanation that not everyone had the money to buy the correct insignia I would counter that by saying what I mentioned above - these guys were paid a wage and it can therefore be argued that of all members of the Hitler Youth it was the higher leaders who had the cash to buy the correct insignia.

As ever, this is just my opinion for the mix :thumb:

IMO sometimes in the early days they did not even understand themselves what was correct or regulation at times regarding Sigrunes and that's one reason the standardisation of the Oberbann structure was put into effect. That's probably one reason I enjoy collecting these insignia, many oddities and irregularities.

With respect D I don't personally think that such a scenario would apply to a person entitled to wear this level of rank. It just doesn't make sense to me. The rune onto which that silver material is attached is the standard type which of course puts this patch squarely within the regulated period and this absolutely begs the question of why on earth a DJ leader at this level would put together an insignia which is so different to the authorised item he was copying? It's not even close and would stand out a mile.

The fact that he was copying it (if we assume that we are looking at such an item here) is of course proof in itself that he was aware that an authorised version already existed so ignorance about whether authorised insignia existed is unrealistic in my opinion. All of this means to me that if we assume that the patch is period (I have no reason to suspect that it isn't) then we must assume that it had a different purpose i.e. that it has nothing to do with high-level DJ ranks. Entertaining the idea that this patch is a home-made copy of the Oberjungbannführer/Gebietsjungvolkführer patches is a stretch too far for me. My opinion only though and by no means an attempt to stifle further discussion :)

a similar one was to sell today by hiscoll
i don t like it
It doesn't make sense to me

yes i seen it ;) hence my asking! what troubles you with it? much of this collecting lark doesnt make sense!! just ask Jo! there is also much much still unknown! why dont we see other oberbann colours with a silver trese, i mean surely an ob 5 or 6 rune would pull much more moneys instead of just an ob 1 but we never see any they are all the orange/red rune

it could be OK on a before 33 version but not on a late one
but ss-collector , you re right when you say :why dont we
see other oberbann colours with a silver trese, i mean surely an ob 5 or 6 rune would pull much more moneys instead of just an ob 1

This is albeit

You guys mean this one? Yes, it was for sale at "This Is Militaria"

I say This Is.. because that is how each and every item description that they sell is prefixed... "This is..." and in 90% of the time the word albeit will be included as well....
;-)

Attachments

I like this patch personally. I have a couple of these Oberbann 1 patches with the silver ring of litzen. In hand the litze does appear to be period done to me. For what purpose? I am not sure on that. There is speculation why it was done, but it's not anything that is written in stone or regulations. Perhaps one day we will have a conclusive answer and not assumption or guesswork. I've only seen this litzen on the Oberbann 1 patches so I would speculate that it was done sometime after the demise of the Oberbann structure.

Edit: Jo he uses "somewhat rare" and "simply a nice" a lot too hehehe.

Last edited:
I like the look of that one also. Still a mystery as to what its purpose was but I agree with previous posters that it's definitely not for a DJ Gebietsjungvolkfuehrer. Those patches were of much higher quality and of course the materials were differnt too.

I like this patch personally. I have a couple of these Oberbann 1 patches with the silver ring of litzen. In hand the litze does appear to be period done to me. For what purpose? I am not sure on that. There is speculation why it was done, but it's not anything that is written in stone or regulations. Perhaps one day we will have a conclusive answer and not assumption or guesswork. I've only seen this litzen on the Oberbann 1 patches so I would speculate that it was done sometime after the demise of the Oberbann structure.

Edit: Jo he uses "somewhat rare" and "simply a nice" a lot too hehehe.

agree with you! i think its for something entirely different to the DJ leader rank and it was only for that bann, but again pure speculation! you are the man that will first find out so keep us posted mate!

Last edited:
Back