"Lehrerbildungsanstalt Ndl" cufftitle

no not really do not buy stories that would be stupid right the items all came out of one estate, I only bought the cuffs and they are IMO very period authentic. :canada1

Last edited:
You're right Wilhelm. The Netherlands, or Niederlande in German, is more commonly abbreviated as NL or NLD.
General der Flieger Christiansen for example was called Wehrmachtsbefehlshaber in den Niederlanden, which was often shortened as W.B.N. or W.B.Nld.

I did some more research, as I'm still pretty intriqued by this piece.

I found this book (see pictures), and apparently there was such a thing as the Deutsche Lehrerbildungsanstalt Vlodrop (Ndl.), based on the stamps in the book.

As Vlodrop is a small town in the Netherlands, Limburg region (Bann 940) to be precise, the cuff title might actually be from this institute.

Hopefully this solves the mystery!

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Netherlands, Nederland, is normally not abbreviated as Ndl. I have not heard of that.
I see it with the stamp as such. Strange. You never know all!

By the way: Wehrmachtbefehlshaber in den Niederlanden is abbreviated as WBN
(a handbook about justice in 1946).

Last edited:
For more information on the school you can Google on: College St. Ludwig / Kolleg St. Ludwig in Vlodrop.

I have visited the thread of this institution, but nothing is said about the
Lehrerbildungsanstalt. The stamp gives an indication, saying so.
I will ask friends that live there what they know about it and if this Anstalt
was big (which I don't think). Maybe they do not know anything about it!
They all (or most) know about the Reichsschule at Valkenburg in Limburg.

other cuff

Here are some pics of the second cuff, it is stained and some dis colouring and has obviously been worn on a uniform:canada1 third pic is the reverse with obvious stains water I suspect

Attachments

Hello, do you know anything about this cuff? Was it a cuff worn by the Hitler Youth? And does the Ndl. stand for Netherlands? I have one among the small amount of items my dad saved from WWII. He was in the 30th Infantry Division and was at Normandy and Battle of the Bulge. The cuff I have is in brand new condition. It has been folded up for 80 years I'm guessing. Thanks.

My dad was at Normandy through the Battle of the Bulge and he didn't keep many things from the war and never talked about it but this cuff Lehrerbildungsanstalt Ndl. was in his things kept in a little leather briefcase that I inherited when he died in 1987. I have tried in vain to learn the meaning of it and finally today I found this thread. I assumed Ndl. had to mean Netherlands (I live in a part of the US with ALOT of Dutch people and consequently am married to a Dutch man. :) Please if you can tell me more about this cuff title, I am so interested. The one I have is in excellent like new condition, it has been folded and stored I'm guessing since my dad came back from the war. How would he have acquired something like this? Thanks so much in advance for answering my questions. I can share a photo but right this minute I'd have to figure out how.

My opinion on this: Like Wim, I think that Ndl could mean Niederlausitz rather than Netherlands.The latter would have been abbreviated in German as Ndld. rather than NL, as is common today. Even though the official abbreviation of Niederlausitz was N.L. (note the abbreviation marks, analogous to O.S. for Oberschlesien), there were many uncertainties in the spelling of geographical names. Example: You can very often see an Adolf Hitlerstraße on forms or photos, although even then Adolf-Hitler-Straße was the only correct spelling.
On the other hand, the stamp is a convincing argument. Obviously, there were abbreviation variants for the Netherlands as well. A few years later, rigid rules would have existed for such things.

Back