Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Please login to view user info
    So, this means, another myth is gone?

I always thought this was a “fantasy” maker. I really read so much about how “fake” this “fakes” are.

And suddenly, just about to open a lovely beer, I read about this. Obviously, if I can help you with anything, I will be more than happy to do it.

Well done guys, very well done.

Regards

Antonio

Yes, it means we know Otto Hoffman did exist, and we can connect him to making BDM, DJ and HJ items. All that is left now, is to connect him somehow to making Metalleffekten, Abzeichen, Flag pole tops, Jewelery or anything metal.
    Nothing better than a few period facts to blow years of repetitive sheep-following-sheep posting out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Metallwarenfabrik View Post
    ....Nothing better than a few period facts to blow years of repetitive sheep-following-sheep posting out of the water.

Talking about the early fully maker-marked HJ pins, I've only came across one Hoffstätter. The pin is a bit lose because the lettering -in high relief- avoid a tight soldering of the pin plate. I keep an eye on other makers but they seem to be very rare.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Vangossum View Post
    Talking about the early full maker marked HJ pins, I've only came across one Hoffstätter. The pin is a bit lose because the lettering -in high relief- avoid a tight soldering of the pin plate. I keep an eye on other makers but they seem to be very rare.
    Wim, i sold one of those last week on this Forum. (see sales thread)
    Aaaaand Wim, no comment on Otto Hoffmann ?

Quote Originally Posted by Metallwarenfabrik View Post
    Wim, i sold one of those last week on this Forum. (see sales thread)
    Aaaaand Wim, no comment on Otto Hoffmann ?
    Jo, if you found traces that Otto Hoffmann made these badges, I have no problem to believe you. Then it is time to make a comparising and to find out which examples could be real, and which examples are close family from the horrible colored buggers. Do you already came across a believable candidate? And how do we read the range of full maker marked early HJ pins? Hoffstätter, Zeugmeisterei Österreich and Hofmann. Are there other makers? Personnaly I only saw Hoffstätter's and (good or bad) "Hofmann's".

Regards, Wim
    Last edited by Wim Vangossum; 7th July 2011 at 08:01 PM.

Hi Wim, Nope, you also saw Zeugmeisterei HJ badges At this stage, all is proved is that there was a HJ maker called Otto Hoffmann, which is what everybody, until yesterday did not believe. You can read it all over the web, Fantasy name, no such maker..etc....
    So all this thread is, is the Eye-opener, and will hopefully encourage more research. As it certainly looks like more research is needed.
    We don't know if he made metal items yet, but we do know, he is not a Fantasy name & that is a very good first step.

Also positive is that as far as I know there are no old stories about these badges. No one seems to have a story about some dodgy dealer having a few hundred made in the 60s for example. There seem to be no rumours - just the 'Hoffmann didn't exist' argument.

Lending some more weight to this, are the Multicolored Rainbow pins marked Hoffmann.
    •
    The Female
    NSKK
    Drivers badges, that did exist, but should be considered very rare, are available in every color under the sun now, a Genuine badge though is seen so seldom, that the majority of collectors don't know what a good one looks like.
    •
    The Hungarian Volksbund badges are even rarer, the did exist though, and they too are available in multi colors.
    •
    The Ludendorff, von Graefe 1924 NSFP badges, which are rarer than teeth on a Leprechaun are also available in colors.
    •
    What about the Foreign HJ badge we have just be talking about? that too, is available in colors.

Sure the HJ badge also existed and is not really a rare item, but i just don't see how or why a faker could come up with the name Otto Hoffmann on these just like that.
    You might think that it could just be coincidence, or even a cruel joke, But do we have other HJ fake badges with fantasy names on them? No we don't, in fact, finding any
    TR
    item with a fantasy name on it will be a hard thing. (I don't mean Non-German names like the Fake Prag maker on the Fantasy Böhmen & Mähren Sympathy badge, on the Hungarian name on the Fake red Hungarian pin)
    If this, using Fantasy names on Fakes was a normal thing, or even common practice, then we would surely have seen more of it?

It would be grand if we could connect Otto Hoffmann somehow to making, or even advertising any metal object

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast