DJ Deutsche Jugend Croatia and Romania membership badge Esseg

Thanks Received
Hello, does anyone know what these tags/badges stand for?

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Admin Edit: thread title changed to reflect subsequent content

Attachments

The first is a Wintehilfswerk - WHW (Winter relief) badge, with a Siegrune and the word Sieg (Sieg = Victory).

I don't know about the second.

The second badge looks like a membership badge for the Deutsche Jugend in Croatia. Could you show the reverse please?

Both items belong to the collections of the Romanian Military Archive in Pitesti, so I assume they belonged to the Romanian DJ. These pictures were posted on a Romanian forum, among others, with a request for identification. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the back side.

So the first one was given by the DJ to those who contributed to Winter relief?

... So the first one was given by the DJ to those who contributed to Winter relief?

The badge has nothing to do with DJ, except that they were selling WHW badges just like HJ, BDM and others. The Siegrune badge was one of a series of several badges with different germanic runes. The badges were given to those who contributed. The number of different WHW badges are almost countless.

Badge in post N°1 is from the Deutsche Jugend der Volksgruppe in Kroatien, and is a very rare piece to find. Nothing to do with Romania.
2010 Husken catalog F7-01 #1 page 416, catalog value €450.-, but effective market value today probably a bit more, imho €550-600.-

There is a probability the Romanian DJ had the same badge design.

Indeed they did. A membership card for the youth branch of the Deutschen Volksgruppe in Rumänien was recently sold on Weitze (I narrowly missed it) & it had the same symbol on the cover...

Cheers
Don

Did you save a pic at all Don? Looks like everything from that batch has sold and been removed from his site.

Did you save a pic at all Don? Looks like everything from that batch has sold and been removed from his site.

Unfortunately not, I thought that I had but I can't find it in my files.......:Cry:

Sorry
Don

Maybe Hüsken has it wrong? and the badge IS actually for the Romanians and has nothing to do with Croatia? it would not be the first time he was wrong? Anyone have any solid evidence linking it to Croatia?

Cheers Don. Not a problem. Excellent though to know that there is proof out there that the Romanian Deutsche Jugend wore the badge.

Maybe Hüsken has it wrong? and the badge IS actually for the Romanians and has nothing to do with Croatia? it would not be the first time he was wrong? Anyone have any solid evidence linking it to Croatia?

I haven't personally seen any Croatian documentation like that sold by Weitze Jo but I used to own one of the badges which was why I really wanted to see the reverse of the one in this thread. Mine was marked 'Zeugmeisterei Esseg' with Esseg being the German name for Osziék in Croatia. I have seen another badge and it was also ostensibly made in the same place although the MM was slightly different. I don't recall ever seeing a photo where the 'DJ' badge is being worn but going with the MM it would certainly seem logical of course that the Croatian Deutsche Jugend wore them. Mine didn't have the quality of the one shown by Alex though. Hang on, I'll get a pic up in a mo..

Attachments

The Weitze ausweis. It is probably the same design and badge for the two areas (Romania and Kroatia).

Attachments

Last edited:
Excellent Lauri. Thanks very much :yo:

Here is the other badge I mentioned above. Posted by 'Seppl' on WAF. This is marked 'Ceugmeisterei' and I have a note from the OP which says that 'C', as far as pronunciation is concerned, equates to the German 'Z'

Attachments

Croatia DJ

Just remembered a thread about these, where Otto Spronk posted two he owned, the pictures are below.

Attachments

Maybe it would be worthwhile showing Hüsken the Romania Ausweis, so he can change/add that info into his 2013 planned update of the Small badges catalog ? i am sure he would be more than grateful.

As I said before, there is next to none info left in Romania about DJ and BDM organizations, the Russians destroyed almost every paper, magazine or record about anything Nazi. So I'm trying to get any info I can about these subject, especially if they are related to my hometown of Kronstadt (Brasov).

Back