HJ Arbeiterjugend membership badge GES GESCH

Thanks Received
How does this one look to you real or repro?

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hello James.
I will help you out here, but first would like to know what you think, and why!
You will surely have an opinion on this badge, seeing as you do collect small badges, and not since yesterday either.
So spill your beans, and i`ll spill mine.
A simple "what do you think" followed by a "thumbs up▬or down" is not the way to go, and not really what this forum is about. No meat, no reply.

Yes of course I have an opinion but I would like hear from other collector's before I express here.
James.

OK, got it now, sure, here is what i think.

Your concerns may be due to the lack of markings, or even due to the fact that there is no hyphen between ARBEITER-JUGEND as can be seen on many others?
In any case, the badge is fine, unmarked examples are known, although in the beginning they were actually only allowed to be made by OTTO BAUDERMAN. (EXAMPLE HERE)
Versions with & without a hyphen are known both marked with a makers name, (Rudolf Schanes for example HERE) with GES.GESCH, unmarked or marked in the transitional way, according to the RZM regulations that specifically mention this and these badges. But if you would have spent a few moments searching around this forum you would have found all that out for yourself.[/HIDE]

Cheers :yo:

Well I won't be upgrading anytime soon. But yes I do think it's a good badge. (Well due to my low membership that's all I can say on the subject.)

James

But yes I do think it's a good badge. (Well due to my low membership that's all I can say on the subject.)

James

Hi James,

I have to say that i don't really understand this. You are known as a small badge collector with many years of experience. I think that it is fair to expect that you would add your personal thoughts on the badge when starting the thread. Your current membership allows you to upload pictures and discuss this badge until the cows come home. Jo's post #4 is not an attempt to make you upgrade as I see it but rather an attempt to engage you in discussion in order to see what your thoughts on this badge are.

You wanted my take on this badge okay here it is. As I have said before I like this badge, reason being I like the over all design of the front, the squared off ends of the sunrays, the natural ageing on the silver finish which looks to have been clean at sometime in it's life but not polished. The only thing on the reverse is a orientation mark put there to aid in the assemble of the attachment pin so the worker did not need to look at the front of the badge.

..... the squared off ends of the sunrays,
Why would that be a "like" factor? when we know that that genuine, maker marked versions of this badge, show the opposite? namely rounded off ends of the sun rays?
It is certainly an "observation" by all means, but that is all it is.

Attachments

This has the potential to be a very educational thread, I havent ever seen these discussed in real depth before

Hello Joe,
First off you asked what I thought about the badge I posted and why which I did. Now you come back at me with how can I like squared off sun rays when all genuine maker badges show rounded rays, did you by chance miss where I stated my badge is unmarked.
James.

Hello Joe,
First off you asked what I thought about the badge I posted and why which I did. Now you come back at me with how can I like squared off sun rays when all genuine maker badges show rounded rays, did you by chance miss where I stated my badge is unmarked.
James.
I did not use the word "all", and my badge, the top badge in the last comparison, is also unmarked So no, i didn't miss anything, you just decided to add you own twist to my post. That has been happening forever anyway, so no hard feelings.
Jo (no E)

Jo,
You are correct you didn't use the word "all" but by not using "some" would lend one to think that all genuine maker marked badges have rounded sunrays. Also in your reply you didn't mention the top badge was unmarked.
James.

The 15 sun ray BECO has rounded sun ray tips :jaw: and the zinc Arbeiter-Jugend has, flat tips!:jaw:
I cant round my opinion off, i forgot what it was, or where i was going... but this sounds mean... maybe you thought i said opinion, when really i said bean ♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♪♪
I can see what you are trying to do here though; Sneak into the forum, isolate one banal element of a badge, and then use it by which to declare all others fake - or good.
It is a good idea, and in all reality it is something that actually does work. Just not with this particular element though, because the forgers spread the l:001_tt1:ve of round and flat edged equally amongst their stock, as did period manufacturers.

If you focus only on the center pieces of these badges, you will soon realize that there is no one element here that we can isolate and set as a standard, or good/bad sign.

Attachments

Hello Jo,
First off I didn't sneak into the forum I signed on using the same name I use on other forums and not hiding behind a screen name, then I added my opinion that it was a good unmarked badge and I liked the squared or flat topped sunrays and the overall finish of the badge. I never declared it absolutely the badge to judge all others by I just stated my opinion.
The appears makers of this badge gave their designer's carte blanche on the front of these badges as there are so many different ones to be found.
James.

The appears makers of this badge gave their designers carte blanche on the front of these badges as there are so many different ones to be found.
James.
Well nothing special at all really, seeing as this can be observed on every badge/award/trinket made before German-wide standardization ▬that was made by many different makers over a long period of time▬ And even then makers pretty much did what they wanted. And dont forget that this was one of those items that was made by the Austrians before their final ban in 1934, and as we all know, the Austrians made some pretty unusual small badges before the ban, same designs, just with the "Austrian twist", so the Austrian versions of these from 1932-33 are also quite different.

Good that we have cleared the sneaking part up. No, there really is only one way to be absolutely sure that you have an original 1st pattern HJ membership badge, and that would be to wrap it up in a 100 dollah bill, ship it to me along with a bottle of the finest Scotch, and wait for me to send you a piece of paper stating either Yeah or Nay.

Jo,
I didn't come to this forum looking for your Yean or Nay on this badge. As far as I'm concerned it's good one for reasons already stated but I would still like to hear what other forum members have to say about it.
James.

Jo,
..... as far as I'm concerned it's good one for reasons already stated.....
Yes "the reasons", i have only managed to find: "overall finish" & "squared tips of the sun rays" on this thread, but why not i ask? why not. It is better than a mouth full of wasps, and certainly beats just posting an image and saying nothing.

Jo,
Why not what?
For those who would like to read the full text on my reasons for liking this badge look at post #8.
James

Back