Odd-looking HJ Membership badge M1/36

Garry

Admin
Thanks Received
M1/136

Just noticed this one on a dealer site. Interesting because it has impressed RZM and maker which is new to me. Also, what's happening with that recess for the pin?? Has anyone come across one like this before?

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Interesting because it has impressed RZM and maker which is new to me.
Granted that Mathias Salcher & Söhne pieces are not seen that often, but it looks fine to me. The Opaque enamel also fits in with what i have seen from them so far. The impressed mm should be no reason for concern, Deschler used this often on both Party pins, HJ pins, HJ Ehrenzeichen too. (see this thread) Going by when the maker received this M1/ number, it would have to be a post 1938 made piece, which also fits in time-wise with the use of the Opaque enamel.
...what's happening with that recess for the pin??
Also no real concern for me, could serve a double function of being used to solder on either a Pin or Prongs.

What we should not loose sight of with pieces made by companies in the annexed zones (as this was in Wagstadt and Austria for example) They could only have been made after 1938, and mostly by companies who did not have the years of trial-and-error experience as the Germany makers did, so crazy errors and oddities are common from them, and should not be compared to other Early made German items.. because they are two pairs of shoes :001_cool:

I would be happy to own it, and imho it is quite a rare mm too !

Thanks for the info Jo :thumb: The dealer is virtualgrenadier by the way.

Garry, this is why i am so opposed to comparing a few pictures and reaching an opinion without having a basic understanding of history to assist.

The best thing to do, is take the M1\ makers list, and change the names of the makers in Austria to Red, the names of the makers in the Reichsgau Sudetenland into Green, then you have an easy to view list with an indication of which makers "could" have been producing under the RZM M1\ system since April 1935, and the makers who, in the case of Austria could only, at the earliest have been producing under the RZM M1\ system since Mid 1938, and in the case of areas like Gablonz, or any maker in the Gau Sudetenland from earliest, very late 1938/early 1939 onwards.

So if you didn't bother to take this into consideration, which i would say 95% of small badge collectors don't, you would be comparing aspects of a badge made by a German maker with experience, to that of a maker in Gablonz with no experience some 4-6 years later.

When you study badges made by these Austrian and Sudetenland makers around 1938|9, it becomes clear that although we are now almost 5 years into the RZM M1\ system, it is totally new for these makers, and many teething problems were made, whereas German makers around 1938|9 would have got their dies, and construction/fabrication fine-tuned to a T
:biggrin1: hope it makes sense.

Thanks for the info Jo :thumb: The dealer is virtualgrenadier by the way.
Oh, thats where Jeff C`s Reichs-Tapestry went to then.. i wantd to buy that a few years ago.

Last edited:
Back