When was the diamond HJ membership badge introduced?

crack

Thanks Received
I was wondering when the diamond shape membership badge was introduvced? Thanks in advance for comments!

I was wondering when the diamond shape membership badge was introduvced? Thanks in advance for comments!
Off the top of my head i would say June 1933, after the HJ was reorganized by Baldur, and for the HJ golden badge in the same form, i would say August 1934. The exact dates i am sure someone else will be able to give you. I will certainly have them, but i would not know where to look for them at this moment - and am too busy both with my work and private life to search for them - I will bookmark this thread though, and if nobody helps you, i will come back to it and give you exact dates.

But, any changes that happened during 1933-1935 were slow.. and we find, even the Reichszeugmeisterei, still calling the diamond shaped HJ membership badge the NEW BADGE as late as July 1934, one whole year after it was introduced. (see image below from an early Mid 1934 RZM.Mtlb.)

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

I've got a note here in my badges folder to the effect that the type 2 (diamond) membership badge was in use in 1931 by the BDM and that the HJ were permitted to wear it in on headwear from the summer of 1932 (although regulations still enforced the type 1 Arbeiterjugend badge). From September 1933 the diamond replaced the Arbeiterjugend badge for the HJ. I don't have a reference for the part about 1931/2 though. Anyone able to confirm that part?

Thanks v much guys, would be great to see confirmation for the earlier date of 1931, 1932. Wondering if there are photographs from around that time showing girls and boys wearing the diamond membership badge?

Good stuff. This is what I came here for. I have a low ricasso(standard hilt)E.Pack HJ that is dated 34 in my personal collection. & all the spanner nut hilts were made prior to this.

Attachments

I'm working on a new article about small enamel badges made by Foerster & Barth. They also made the common HJ membership badge. In my files (based on W. Saris) The rhomboid membership badge was introduced in september 1933. Is that correct?

Regards, Wim :001_smile:

Hi Wim,

Verordnungsblatt der Reichsjugendführung der NSDAP dated 13.4.1933 (see extracts from the order at the bottom of this post) shows that:

1. Hoffstätter was the sole manufacturer and that personnel were to report any offers by other companies to supply the badge.
2. That the BDM were wearing the new diamond badge at this time. However, I have a further note on file that I made after discussing the matter of the diamond badge with Wim Saris some years ago which says that the BDM and DJ were wearing it as early as 1931.

September 1933 is the date from when all HJ officially began to wear the diamond badge. This was originally planned for 1932 but not implemented until Sept 1933.

So, the diamond badge was around much earlier than many think.

Extracts from the Verordnungsblatt follow:
This content can only be viewed by: Blue Group members.

Attachments

From Aufbau und Abzeichen der NSDAP 1933

Attachments

Back