Hitler Youth Achievement badge edges give fakes away

Thanks Received
Please show pictures of the Side|Edge of your Leistungsabzeichen

You don't have permission to view attachments.
I have noticed that with the Fakes, the edge seems to be very different from Originals. I only have early HJ-Proficiency badges so that's why i need others who have later and war time examples to help out here. The unmarked fake badge that i showed in this thread, there was a pictures as well of the side, where you could see that the edge was straight, and not shaped/curved/Beveled like the ones i have. Would be interesting to see if this was a Fakers-Flaw, and a possible way in which to weed out *possible* fakes ? The following pictures below will demonstrate what i mean..... if anyone with later examples could host a few pics of the edges of theirs... might help :good:

Attachments

Last edited:
this is an interesting and important detail. I've just checked all the badges of this type I have, including the ones I dug, and they all have the beveled edges. Now I don't have any fake around, but I think it would be alot easier to strike the badges without this kind of edging like in the originals.

This is most interesting Jo. Hope this is a valid point of reference in determining fakes. Interestingly, my "ground dug" one shown here also has the bevelled edge:

Tom

It would be a help, although not many sellers show side views of these badges :sad:

Glockenform | Urnenform

I might not have explained this observation correctly. :blink: But that's typical me anyway, so just live with it.
The word Bevel is not correct at all. In fact very misleading. This is indeed seen on Fakes as well, what i meant to say, and kinda did with the word Shape, is actually the complete Form, and not just the fact that the sharp edges may be taken off, filed down or rounded.

I will try and explain as best i can with pictures. When you view the Leistungsabzeichen from a horizontal position, it becomes clear that it has a Form, in the case of the early examples i have, it is a typical Glockenform | Urnenform (Bell shape/Urn shape) On the Reproductions however, there is no form at all, but there is some Beveling which has obviously taken place afterward, by hand IMO.

Here is the side view to show the Glockenform of an early Original

Compared to the side view of a Reproduction

Below are two examples of close-ups of both, taken from the arrowhead section of the badge, to show exactly what i wanted to correct with the word Bevel. The reproduction has been slightly beveled as well, but once you click on both pictures and enlarge them, the radical differences will become more than crystal.

Here is a more than clear view of the side of a Reproduction, that someone has beveled slightly

PS: if someone would upload side views of an "S" marked Proficiency badge, that would be great, as well as side-views of late examples.

Attachments

Last edited:
excellent pics!
:good: it helps to see what i talk about some times ..
Another early black badge i have, shows a form as well, although the picture below it looks like the whole badge is angled, it is actually also the Glockenform, just focused on a different part, at the back of the arrow tail, and even that has a Form, not like the fakes that are dead straight, or just have the edge filed off or rounded off.

Attachments

Last edited:
That certainly makes it perfectly clear. Thanks.
Tom
The Reproductions show clearly that someones taken a file to the edges of these ones.. whereas with the originals, it`s all in the die/mold.

Side view of a Black Reproduction
Drawings viewed from the back, or tail of the arrow of both Reproduction & Original

Attachments

Last edited:
Coke bottle

Here`s a silver badge by M1/34 in the 40,000 range. This also has a "form" shaped more like a coke bottle than a bell. Maybe Zeller is onto something when he said that it might be easier to reproduce then in a flat-form than it would be to make then in two parts. In any case, i think we are going to see more of these kind of individual attributes to certain makers. (which is good for me to help identify the early unmarked badges i have:biggrin1:)

Horizontal view of the M1/34 clearly showing the Form

Attachments

Just checked my early AD Schwerdt and the profile matches that of the originals you have shown. I can't get good pics of my badge as the macro on my camera is crap...

Excellent job in picking up on this Jo and for showing it so clearly.

Another maker, the same form

Here we have another maker, later in the 30,000 range, but also clearly showing a form. The size is bigger than all the other ones i have, and closer inspection shows that the dies used were also slightly different, but what they all have in common (so far) is the form, or "a form"

Attachments

here is my first attempt showing my bronze B version m1/63 JO

Attachments

Last edited:
black

here is my black serial 92646 m1/36

Attachments

Last edited:
silver

my silver serial 65564 m1/34, just learning this digital microscope neat tech

:canada1

Attachments

here is my first attempt showing my bronze B version m1/63 JO
Paul, is it possible to show better pics of the edges of this M1/63, from the small pic you uploaded, it does not look correct to me, or, does not look like what i would hope to see.....

okay how are these JO

:canada1

Attachments

Much better, looks exactly like the originals we have seen so far. A relief actually to see a M1/63 that conforms to those shown that are undoubtably good.

FYI JO I have a hand held usb microscope now and can take very detailed pics when needed
Paul, i have though about getting one of those for a long time now. There is a nice 5 mega pix. (100-400 x) that that i have seen, but it`s $2700.- :nono: I tested a friends small 3 Mega pix. one out that i think he said he picked up for $99.- on fleabay, but it wasnt my cuppa. The cameras that i have at the moment are good enough though, and can pick up the die flaws on the kinda items that i am interested it. I have found, that the more in-depth you go with detailed research, the less people understand.

Back