Holder of a HJ achievement badge in Bronze?

Thanks Received
Hi I have the HJ Leistungsabzeichen in Bronze. It has the number 20910. It came with the small pin version as well and I have the booklet that told how the boys were supposed to earn the badge. Is it possible to find out the name of the lad whose badge I now own and when he received it? Also, what did the different classes of the badge signify?

Regards,
John

Hi I have the HJ Leistungsabzeichen in Bronze. It has the number 20910. It came with the small pin version as well and I have the booklet that told how the boys were supposed to earn the badge. Is it possible to find out the name of the lad whose badge I now own and when he received it?

Regards,
John

You've probably seen this thread John. Unfortunately your chap isn't on the list but who knows, with a little luck some documentation may well turn up. We can see however from the lists that your badge is likely to have been issued toward the end of 1938.

HJMunchen said:
Also, what did the different classes of the badge signify?

http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f83/achievement-badges-hj-qualification-480/ :thumb:

Hi Garry,

Thanks for the help. Why wouldn't my lad not be listed? With a serial numbered piece, you'd think they'd write each boys name down. So since this is a Bronze level badge, the boy who received it was 16 years old, is that correct? Could a boy wortk his way up from Iron/Black level up to Silver?

John

Registers were held during the period but most were destroyed so we now have to try to pull information from various sources as they turn up. There are no complete records of badge serial numbers anywhere unfortunately.

Yes, that was the progression with the badges. DJ for the 12/13 year olds, HJ black for 15 year-olds, Bronze at 16 and silver at 17+. In practice there seems to have been latitude and you'll see paperwork showing that some got the badges early and in a shorter time period - particularly later on when the Wehrertüchtigungslager started (military training camps) because parts of that training exempted the boy from having to do them again as part of achievement badge testing. Also, not all boys went through all stages. The majority of HJ achievement books I've seen usually only show bronze and silver or just bronze, just black etc.

Hi Garry,
Thanks. So he'd get his DJ badge, then his HJ Iron badge, then Bronze and finally Silver. It was nice you could work your way up as you got older. The boy could then have a total of four badges assuming he was a DJ member at age 12/13 and stayed in till he was 17 or so correct?

Yes, that was possible but as I say, I have yet to see an achievement book which shows all three levels of the HJ achievement badge having been awarded. If someone has such a book it would be great to see it.

Ah yes, I don't have a copy myself (wish I had) but I know the one you mean. I'd have to read it to see why they omitted the DJ shooting badge. Yes, it's odd seeing that date isn't it :)

Back