M1/101 HJ Achievement badge marked with "S". Questions..

Thanks Received
Here I have an achievement badge in silver in nearly top condition.
Do you know the material it was made of? Bronze? The badge is not magnetic.
I was wondering about the "S". Maybe a markers mark of Gustav Brehmer
for the workers to know that the batch as to become a silver one?
Please forgive my bad English :001_rolleyes:

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Some more photos.

Thanks and regards,
Sven.

Attachments

looks like a nice original badge but im stumped what the s is for

Edit as I just noticed the second set of pictures. Looks like a bronze badge which has lost its finish on the obverse.

The S is unknown to me and I can't see anything in the regulations about it. I'll keep looking though.

At a German forum the materil was identified as Cupal.

Edit as I just noticed the second set of pictures. Looks like a bronze badge which has lost its finish on the obverse.

The S is unknown to me and I can't see anything in the regulations about it. I'll keep looking though.

The bronze material is clearly on top of the underlying silver material (pic 6) so this isn't a silver badge. Do you have a link to the discussion?

It is silver. Cupal is a composite of aluminium and a filmy layer of copper.
Cupal was used after non-ferrous metal and before zinc.

From www:
CUPAL consists of a plating of copper (plating metal) on aluminium (base Metal), both metals being welded together to an inseparabel whole by a mechanical special process. CUPAL is not therefore an alloy an interesting bimetal with multiple uses within the group of non-ferrous metals.

So I'm happy about a wonderful and unused badge :)

The bronze material is clearly on top of the underlying silver material (pic 6) so this isn't a silver badge. Do you have a link to the discussion?

No link to the discussion then? If it's on MFF I can read German so just the link will do. I'm guessing though that you wouldn't be asking the question here if you had received a conclusive answer over on the german forum.

Why is the copper-coloured material on top of the silver (pic 4)? I'm only going by what I see and I haven't seen a badge like this before.

Also it's my understanding that the pin colour matched the badge: silver pin - silver badge, black pin - black badge bronze pin - bronze badge. Your pin appears to be bronze in colour and with the bronze-coloured remains laying over the silver this is what is making me think that your badge isn't a silver. As I said though I'm always up for learning new stuff.

You seem to have made your mind up anyway though.

Yes, it was on MFF, but details I checked up via PM. I started the thread in
MFF later, that's why I asked the questions in both forums. But nobody
knows about the "S" until now.
The copper-coloured material is not on top. The aluminium layer and
the copper layer are welded / pressed together.
The pin is brass-coloured, so we have 2 (3) different materials. At first
the copal was made, than the badge was cutted. The border/frame/edge -
I don't know which word is right here - is really sharp, especially at the
copper side.

Regards,
Sven.

2014 Admin Edit: those interested in these strange "sandwich" badges might like to read the following thread in its entirety:

http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f24/hj-achievement-badge-s-stamp-2885/

Jo Rivett bought and disassembled an example of such a badge and was able to establishg that it was of very inferior quality and extremely unlikely to be from the period:

http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f2...ment-badges-leistungsabzeichen-marked-s-5649/

Back