RZM M9/255 Für Leistungen in der Deutschen Jugend achievement badge Steierischer Heimatbund?

Thanks Received
on the back it says: Schwertner & CIE Graz-West M9/255

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi,

This might be an achievement badge for members of the Deutsche Jugend (not Deutsches Jungvolk) within the Steierischer Heimatbund. However, I am basing that on the use of the Steierischer Heimatbund shield in the design and the location of the maker as I have never seen one of these badges before. The Steierischer Heimatbund was created in 1941. Other members may well know more about the badge, particularly our member "vox" who specifically collects items from this organisation:

http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f3...j-dienstausweis-steierischer-heimatbund-1851/

The "DJ" in this case stands for "Deutsche Jugend" and not Deutsches Jungvolk. The former was an umbrella term used to describe volksdeutsche youth organisations outside the Reich that were aligned with the Hitler Youth but not a part of it. The Steierischer Heimatbund, or rather some of the territory it covered in Slovenia, would eventually fall within HJ Obergebiet Südost (Gebiet Steiermark) and therefore become part of the Hitler Youth structure so from that point, HJ, BdM, DJ and JM members within that area would have been awarded the standard achievement badges.

(I amended your original thread title to reflect the nature of the badge)

Another option for this badge is Deutsche Jugend Slovakia as they used a very similar shield on their membership cards.

To me it is an Austrian produced "event badge" and not a badge for Leistungen. Even though it says "for achievements.."
The M9/ "event/festival" code is present, and would most surely not be present on an award. (If it was the Achievement Badge for SHB or Slovakian..etc.. then it would be an award that one could win/obtain..)
There are German tinnies known that show the full HJ leistungsabzeichen on them, but together with something else and were event badges.
I would also think SHB (hence Austrian maker) but not an award, but rather a festival/event badge.

I can give other examples of badges made that say one thing, yet were not for that thing! but rather either a festival badge or just the event badge of that day/event.

I do have an Edelweiss in my Grandfathers little collection. Does that mean Austria? Thinking about it, though, he was in a POW camp in Austria for a while maybe he got them from there.

The Edelweiß is found in many countries, the tinnie is Austrian because of the maker :yo:

To me it is an Austrian produced "event badge" and not a badge for Leistungen. Even though it says "for achievements.."
The M9/ "event/festival" code is present, and would most surely not be present on an award.

That makes sense Jo. Just seems strange that there is nothing else at all on the badge. As you say, there are HJ tinnies that incorporate the achievement badge into the design but with those it's clear that we are looking at an event badge. This Deutsche Jugend badge is an odd one.

Back