Silver BDM achievement badge (serial number 7004)?

Thanks Received
I guess my achievement is a silver too.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi,

I moved your post to a new thread but yes, as discussed here (and more in-depth here)there is still much to know about why so few of the silver level of the BDM achievement badge appear to have been awarded. The highest number BDM silver with supporting documentation currently known to me is 3849 (awarded Oct 1944). Having said that your badge does indeed appear to have traces of silver finish left.

I have shown the badge here for a while.
But for me just once again a hot topic.

I received it with a bronce badge and other thinks.
All from one person. Unfortunately no documents were found.

Yes... There are traces of silver on it.
Perhaps were issued at the end of the war only the badge with no documents.

The bronce badge has the number 96816.
I dont know when the girl gets the bronce one.

Attachments

Currently i found this in an auction.
It should be silver but i think you can see that it is bronce.
There is actually a bid over 530.- euros for it.

Attachments

Currently i found this in an auction.
It should be silver but i think you can see that it is bronce.
There is actually a bid over 530.- euros for it.

Indeed. A number that high should set off alarm bells instantly but some collectors may not know about the low number of silver BDM badges that were actually awarded and might therefore be tempted into buying a "silver" badge that is actually the bronze level..

The bronce badge has the number 96816.
I dont know when the girl gets the bronce one.

End of 1941/early 1942

Indeed. A number that high should set off alarm bells instantly but some collectors may not know about the low number of silver BDM badges that were actually awarded and might therefore be tempted into buying a "silver" badge that is actually the bronze level..

End of 1941/early 1942

Auction is over...
sold for 755.- euros plus 20%

Well, that's either a shill auction that didn't actually lead to a sale or the buyer was mental...

Ja, not just that, what about the stink normal party badge sold for 330 before tax, or the mini Leistingsabzeichen sold for 200 ? or or or.. there are many examples of insanity in this last auction.

i dont care what anyone says Jo , they were not legit bidders IMHO
I would agree with this 100%.
The mail i just got says:
Rare pieces achieved strong results and a few items definitely set new records on the international market!

It was the opposite was it not? Rare items selling for 30-50% of what they usually sold for - or are offered for today by dealers who have the same items, and common stuff selling for 4-5x what they do.
Since when are common Leistungsabzeichen in silver in used condition worth 300? or in black over 400? And since when do collectors pay 200 each for small Leistungsabzeichen? And that BDM for well over 800....:biggrin1:
The party badge that sold for 330 before tax (well over 400 with postage) is interesting, as Craig Gottlieb auctions sold the same badge 3 years ago on his auction site, for 280 USD! :pound:
All you can do, is take note, observe, and then make your own judgments. I have been taking note(s) for a long time now, so base my personal opinion on more than just a gut feeling.

Something stinks. Anyone interested in badges like the achievement badge would know what they go for. Perhaps an auction newbie just messed up and had his reserve bids set too high. I did that once and ended up paying over 300 Euros for a 78rpm record.

okay...
but now back to my achievement badge with the the Serial number 7004
i am sure it is a silver one... what is your opinion?

Attachments

I've said all I can on this one to be honest. The badge makes a good impression and certainly does appear to be the silver level but I won't be truly happy with award serials this high until I find out why the BDM silver was only awarded in very small numbers with most coming late in the war. When we consider that the badge was instituted in 1934 it is very odd that it would take until July 1943 before badge number 729 for example was awarded. After this there was apparently a rapid acceleration in the numbers of badges awarded but by Oct 1944 they were still only up to badge 3849. Wierd but with a little luck we might be able to explain that at some point.

Back