weird military style pin on a black Hitler Youth achievement badge

Thanks Received
Did the proficency badge ever have a thin pin that is hinged? It is similar to the set up on war badges. I have one where the hinge mount divides the serial number. The number seems to be partially covered by the hinge. The number 49 is clear then there appears to be a patially obscured 3. Then the hinge mount seems to cover one number or perhaps two. On the other side of the hinge mount there is an 8. The badge is marked M1/101 and RZM. Also, the swastika is smaller than those on my other 3 badges. I am unable to post any pictures, Sorry. Thanks, Mike

Do you have a picture you can upload? The badges weren't issued with a pin like that but it could be a replacement pin. A picture would be necessary to be able to say more though.

weird pin picture

Heres my attempt at printing a picture

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

That helps Mike but the pic is too small at the mo. Can you upload a larger, sharper one?

Hi Mike. Try to scan the image, then use MS paint to resize it. That's sort of the best way if you don't have photoshop or something. Save it as a JPG when you are done resizing it. Hope that helps.

weird pin

I hope this picture is better. If not, I'll have to do more research on how to get better pictures from my scanner. I'm not very computer literate. Thanks, Mike

Attachments

Mike the picture is good. Looks like you got it figured out. I don't really know about the badge but this picture is much better. I'm sure Garry and Stu can give you an opinion.

I hope it's not just us two! :)

Well, it has clearly never had a conventional pin attached so this military pin setup is very odd. You don't see many of the black level around but I've never seen a pin like that on a good badge.

The fact that there is no evidence of the standard pin having been removed and replaced would mean that the factory supplied badges to order i.e. with normal pin or military pin. I've never heard of that being a possibility so based on what I see here I'm going to say that this badge can't be genuine. I can just about make out some pitting on the left of the circle which could be evidence of a cast copy. For me this isn't a genuine badge. I'm sure we'll get some more opinions though.

An additional shot of the obverse would be great actually Mike.

i am convinced this pin and set up is wrong but the badge itself looks okay to me , gar what makes you think this is not a replacement pic i can see the centre area looks like it has not had a pin attached but this could have been touched uo to cover the fact it does look a bit rough in that area, i find it odd how the hinge actually goes over the issue number which makes me think it was added later

That's what I mean Stu. The pin can't have been done at the factory. I can't see any evidence of a previous pin so this means, in theory at least, that the badge left the factory with no pin and someone retrofitted this military pin. Doesn't sound plausible.

Weird Pin

Thanks for your opinions guys. I had my doubts about this set up also. This new pic shows the front of the badge. I placed another badge along side it so you could get more of an idea of the smaller swaz on the weird pin badge. Hope this helps. Thanks, Mike

Attachments

For me - top badge good. Lower badge bad. I see that pitting again. Also, the stipple pattern seems to have an odd uniformity to it which I haven't seen before. For me it's not a keeper.

You will see fat and thin swastikas on good badges though.

pin

Looks like a "repair job" to me. The solder is put on too thick, hence the covering of the number.
I am not an expert, but made some boo-boos myself, with soldering.
Correct me if i am wrong.
Cheers
HN

Back