The German Young Horse Rider Badge . "Deutsches Jugend-Reiter-Abzeichen"

Joe B

Banned
Thanks Received
Here is one (believe it or not) that I dont think we have discussed yet .
Until resently , I have had my doubts even about the existence of the Young Reiters badge . I had not seen an actual photo of one in period wear ... that is until resently .
I have seen a few of the badges off and on on the internet going between 50 to 200 euro , depending on who is selling them.
What are your thoughts ?

I will post more photos (one of which I do own) and a few more found on the internet of Reiter HJ members and one that does show the badge in period wear .

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Last edited:
This is the photo that I do own that shows the Young Reiter badge in wear on an HJ uniform .

Attachments

Last edited:
More photos of Reiter HJ , Some of these photos are owned by members of this forum , I will take them down if said members ask . They are posted to educate other forum members only .

If you look at the first photo the HJ member looks like he is wearing a cloth HJ insignia with black pennants and wearing a sword ...?
The second photo shows an HJ member wearing crossed lances on his shoulderstraps .
Third photo shows an HJ member wearing Black riding breeches , notice the spurs on the boots .
Fourth photo shows the standardized pattern cloth Reiter insignia .

Attachments

Last edited:
Two examples of Reiter HJ shoulderstraps .

Attachments

Hi Joe

Thanks for the pics, special thanks for the pic with HJ wearing the badge (post 2).

I have also this badge in my collection, and have made pics of front and backside. The badge looks to me as made of zinc covered with brass.

Michael :denmark

Attachments

Your welcome Michael

Does anyone know what the prerequisite for this badge was opposed to the normal horse riders badge that is more common .

Deutsches Jugend-Reiter-Abzeichen

(Thank you Michael for the link)

The German Youth Rider badge was donated by the National Association eV for breeding and testing German Warmblood on 7 August 1932nd The occasion was the 2nd meeting of the German Reich youth riders. Officially, the badge was recognized until the end of 1935 as a sports decorations. Excellent young people were who had taken the relevant test under 18 years. To test included exercises in dressage (3 gaits), jumping exercises (total of 8 jumps and various obstacles 3). For the badge only one class has been expended. The badge should be motivation and equestrian award to inspire young people for the cavalry. Due to the huge popularity of the badge about 11,000 were awarded to 1942nd Known manufacturers were Chr. Lauer, Nuremberg, W. Annetsberger, Munich and Steinhauer & Lück from Lüdenscheid. There have been made of bronze and zinc badges. When zinc pieces back in the ring Scripture: - GES.- GESCH.- REICHSVBD.- F.- Z.- u.- PR.- D.- WARMBL. - (Plus manufacturers).

Round, hollow embossed badge of bronze tinted. Rear a horizontal pin which is soldered by pPlättchen. With this manufacturer number under the foot of the rider.

Front:
The edge is formed by a laurel wreath.
Down on the rim inside a circle to set belt, the letter - R -.
Centrally, the depiction of a jumping horse left.
The hind legs resting at the bottom of the round belt. Both the front angled in the air.
On horseback sitting a rider. The head of the rider and the horse touch the edge.
The tail of the horse going up on the edge.

Back:
Hollow embossed. Centered a soldered plate with horizontal pin.
(Here no MPN)

And the badge was in use also after 1945, but without the "R". I am not quite sure, but I think it still is in use today in the form without the "R"

After 1945-badge:

Michael :denmark

Attachments

If anybody else has photos of Reiter HJ or especially Hitlerjugend wearing the Horse Rider badge or the Reiter HJ sleeve insignia ....please post here .

from the external link said:
Officially, the badge was recognized until the end of 1935 as a sports decorations.

That's incorrect. Even as late as 1942 and quite possibly until 1945 this badge was permitted for wear on the Hitler Youth uniform. This is shown in NSDAP regulations extant in 1942 concerning awards and decorations. Although it could be worn by qualified HJ, the Jugendreiterabzeichen isn't a "HJ" award in the sense that the "Armscheibe für Hitler-Jugend Reiter" (sleeve insignia for HJ riders) was. The latter was introduced in Feb 1938 and was part of a joint effort by the RJF and NSRK to prepare volunteer HJ for later employment in the army as riders and as drivers of horse-drawn wagons (artillery, stores etc). Obviously the other "HJ" badge for riders was the early Reiter-HJ sleeve badge but that was an organisational insignia and did not require the wearer to have passed any selection tests.

Back